• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pfisher

Long Island, NY.

I am growing more frustated with Suffolk County Enforcement Bureau as well as Family Court.

In April, I went to CSEB to get the paperwork going to start a new Child support case against my ex-wife whom lives in Connecticut. I have custoday of my two daughters. I am in Week 14, which there hasn't been any movement on my case. I am in the dark on where this case is going. The non-custodial parent has been located which means CSEB has a confirmed address on her. I have never been down this road before and NOBODY is giving me advice on the case status. I have to call the CSEB Helpline each and every week to get some news even when there isn't any new updates.

I am pulling out my hair in frustation because I want this case to move quicker than what it should be moving. I don't think a petition has been created yet because NOBODY is giving me answers.

Please can someone hear me. Can someone offer any advice to me on how I can speed this process up. Is there anyone at Family Court I can talk to besides the endless ringing at General Clerks desk? I just want to get the letter in the mail with a docket number. Without this letter, my case is not going anywhere.

BL

Long Island, NY.

I am growing more frustated with Suffolk County Enforcement Bureau as well as Family Court.

In April, I went to CSEB to get the paperwork going to start a new Child support case against my ex-wife whom lives in Connecticut. I have custoday of my two daughters. I am in Week 14, which there hasn't been any movement on my case. I am in the dark on where this case is going. The non-custodial parent has been located which means CSEB has a confirmed address on her. I have never been down this road before and NOBODY is giving me advice on the case status. I have to call the CSEB Helpline each and every week to get some news even when there isn't any new updates.

I am pulling out my hair in frustation because I want this case to move quicker than what it should be moving. I don't think a petition has been created yet because NOBODY is giving me answers.

Please can someone hear me. Can someone offer any advice to me on how I can speed this process up. Is there anyone at Family Court I can talk to besides the endless ringing at General Clerks desk? I just want to get the letter in the mail with a docket number. Without this letter, my case is not going anywhere.
By a new case ,do you mean there was a prior case ?

If so where ?

Why are you going through CSEB and not directly through your Court ?

At any rate you might want try try contacting the Court's Chief Clerk .

pfisher

Yes, this is a brand new case with CSEB and Family Court. Frankly, brand new anywhere. My divorce was handled in Connecticut and along with any child support arrangements. The CS and divorce was combined.

I am going through CSEB because I went to Riverhead Courts and the person I spoke to directed me to go to CSEB first. I didn't have a street address on my ex-wife. I only had her town and her SS number. Naturally, CSEB would have to find her location first before any orders get created.

BL, do you live here on LI? You are kinda surprised that I went to CSEB first. Most child support cases are handled by CSEB. The courts might enforce the order but CSEB handles the paperwork. I would think that most attorneys know that information. I don't know if you are an attorney.

You suggested for me to go through the Court instead of CSEB. Why? How would that have changed my case or speed things up?

You are suggesting for me to contact Courts chief clerk. Why? What is the benefit in speaking to this person. Most likely this person will shoe me off and tell me that I have to speak with CSEB. This person would be willing to speak to a civilian rather than an attorney?

BL

Yes, this is a brand new case with CSEB and Family Court. Frankly, brand new anywhere.
My divorce was handled in Connecticut and along with any child support arrangements. The CS and divorce was combined.
Which is it ? A brand new case ,or from an existing divorce decree ?

I am going through CSEB because I went to Riverhead Courts and the person I spoke to directed me to go to CSEB first.
Ok , is the enforcement of an order from your divorce decree what you want ?

I didn't have a street address on my ex-wife. I only had her town and her SS number. Naturally, CSEB would have to find her location first before any orders get created.
Again which is it , for CSEB to enforce and collect on a prior Divorce decree order or a brand spanking new case ?

BL, do you live here on LI?
No.

You are kinda surprised that I went to CSEB first. Most child support cases are handled by CSEB. The courts might enforce the order but CSEB handles the paperwork. I would think that most attorneys know that information. I don't know if you are an attorney.
CSEU usually collects and has enforcement methods on existing court ordered CS matters

You suggested for me to go through the Court instead of CSEB. Why? How would that have changed my case or speed things up?
You insinuate this is brand new case.

You are suggesting for me to contact Courts chief clerk. Why?
You mentioned Family court clerks.

What is the benefit in speaking to this person. Most likely this person will shoe me off and tell me that I have to speak with CSEB. This person would be willing to speak to a civilian rather than an attorney?
After reading what is going on between NY and Connecticut, I can surmise this is not about a brand new CS case ,cut rather one from Connecticut that you want enforced .

So no I have no advice ,except to speak to a supervisor of CSEB.

Last edited:

pfisher

BL,

With all due respect, I cannot go any further with answering any questions of yours. My divorce was finished, final, done, over. This case that I have started here in NY is completely separate and irrelevant from my divorce which was FINALIZED in 2006. Do you understand that? This Child support case has absolutely 1000% nothing to do with my divorce. Since you don't live in NY and it appears you don't work in the legal field, I will be concluding our Q/A session. I will be looking for other people to comment or give some NY state legal advice.

Anyone else care to give me free NY State legal advice on this particular situation?

BL

BL,

With all due respect, I cannot go any further with answering any questions of yours. My divorce was finished, final, done, over. This case that I have started here in NY is completely separate and irrelevant from my divorce which was FINALIZED in 2006. Do you understand that? This Child support case has absolutely 1000% nothing to do with my divorce. Since you don't live in NY and it appears you don't work in the legal field, I will be concluding our Q/A session. I will be looking for other people to comment or give some NY state legal advice.

Anyone else care to give me free NY State legal advice on this particular situation?
I'm from NY .

One thing for sure you contradict yourself and will not respond to what if any CS was ordered in your divorce and if so what is the status.

No one can help you until you make it clear.

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/Home/departments/socialservices/Child%20Support%20Enforcement%20Bureau/Child%20Support%20Enforcement%20FAQ.aspx[/U]]Suffolk County Government - Child Support Enforcement FAQ

I'm in NY.

With all due respect I handled a CS case and had my obligation terminated after researching laws and presenting them to support my petition .

But good day and I hope you find the help you are looking for .

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
BL,

BL DOES live in NY and has vast experience in the NY courtrooms. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
BL,

After your attitude with a respected senior member of this forum, I would suggest that you PAY somebody.

Yes, this is a brand new case with CSEB and Family Court. Frankly, brand new anywhere. My divorce was handled in Connecticut and along with any child support arrangements. The CS and divorce was combined.
You cannot have a BRAND NEW CASE on top of a previous child support order in the divorce decree. Unless you can answer these simple questions, no one here will be of service to you. And after that child like tantrum, no one should.

My divorce was finished, final, done, over. This case that I have started here in NY is completely separate and irrelevant from my divorce which was FINALIZED in 2006. Do you understand that? This Child support case has absolutely 1000% nothing to do with my divorce.
Check your facts again, pal. Your original divorce decree, as YOU stated, provided a child support order. You cannot just forget about a Connecticut order and have a brand new order made in NY, the other one ignored. You must go thru proper channels in regards to a child support order, whether you want to change it or just enforce it.

You divorced in 2006- you mean to tell me you have had a child support order in that divorce decree and only NOW are trying to get it enforced?

WE HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO.

Do you get it now? I'm assuming no.

P.S.- I'm in NY, don't play that card on me. BL was more than gracious with you and senior commentors don't appreciate someone coming to the board to get THEIR questions answered, who won't even ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS BACK. We cannot possibly give you an accurate venue to turn to without all the facts. Grow up.

TinkerBelleLuvr

MuchNeededHelp,

What kind of name is that, pal? Come up with a better name. You, my friend, need the "much needed help" in learning how to READ. If you look at the very beginning of the thread, I did answer BL's questions. It was BL who was NOT grasping what I was saying. Were you in court when my Divorce was finalized, NO! Did you come with me when I went to CSEB for the first time to speak with an Interstate Case Worker. NO! Your body wasn't there to hear what was explained to me. Step off!

Do you think that I am a idiot, that I don't know my balls from my elbow. I think I know what my Divorce Decree states. Again, I was told by CSEB, that this case would be a new case. They would check to see if there is any active cases of child support in Connecticut. The case worker even looked at my Divorce Decree. The answer was NO. This case would not be an extension of my Divorce or any part of it.

Hey, I could have a dream team representing me. I have BL, TheGeekess, and MuchNeededHelp on my side. Wow, do you think that I would any get further in this case if I hired you three as my team? Tell you what, I'll PAY all three of you to come and witness me calling CSEB Helpline and Family Court clerk. You guys can talk to them. Throw your weight around.
My suggestion is that you pay for any advice that you seek. Disabusing volunteers will NOT get you any help from any others.

I'll give you some free advice here: be nice to people when you are asking for help.

Peace out.

BL

MuchNeededHelp,

What kind of name is that, pal? Come up with a better name. You, my friend, need the "much needed help" in learning how to READ. If you look at the very beginning of the thread, I did answer BL's questions. It was BL who was NOT grasping what I was saying. Were you in court when my Divorce was finalized, NO! Did you come with me when I went to CSEB for the first time to speak with an Interstate Case Worker. NO! Your body wasn't there to hear what was explained to me. Step off!

Do you think that I am a idiot, that I don't know my balls from my elbow. I think I know what my Divorce Decree states. Again, I was told by CSEB, that this case would be a new case. They would check to see if there is any active cases of child support in Connecticut. The case worker even looked at my Divorce Decree. The answer was NO. This case would not be an extension of my Divorce or any part of it.

Hey, I could have a dream team representing me. I have BL, TheGeekess, and MuchNeededHelp on my side. Wow, do you think that I would any get further in this case if I hired you three as my team? Tell you what, I'll PAY all three of you to come and witness me calling CSEB Helpline and Family Court clerk. You guys can talk to them. Throw your weight around.
Read the link .

10. How can I get child support when the other parent lives in another state?

The most difficult child support cases to pursue are those in which the parent obligated to pay support lives in one state and the custodial parent and child(ren) live in another. All states, however, are required to pursue all child support enforcement program functions for out-of-state cases in the same way they do for in-state cases. All states must cooperate with each other in these matters. The recently enacted Uniform Interstate Family Support Act-UIFSA-governs interstate child support case processing. Particularly significant are the provisions of UIFSA that ensure there is only one valid child support order and permit direct wage withholding from the child support payer's employer in another state. In addition, the Child Support Recovery Act of 1992 makes it a federal crime to willfully fail to pay support for a child living in another state. These cases are prosecuted by the United States Attorney's Office.
Take it to the interstate case worker or his/her supervisor then , but read about how difficult it can be .

You can throw your frustrations and attitude around , but we are volunteers and won't tolerate it long .

And excuse me if I don't get it .

State what your divorce decree says about Custody/CS word for word , and if you both lived in Connecticut at the time of the divorce .

Last edited:
I'd also, for the OP's benefit, like to point out that there is a HUGE difference between a brand-spankin'-new child support ORDER from the courts vs. a child support CASE opened with CSEB. CSEB enforces a previous court order- presumably from the OP's divorce decree. So we need information from the DIVORCE DECREE in order to help. Unless OP has an updated CS order from the courts, the decree is the one that CSEB is attempting to use.

I cannot fathom why CSEB would tell OP that his divorce decree, which he states has CS/Custody information within, doesn't apply. Unless both OP and NCP agreed to discontinue child support with the courts blessing, the order is in fact, still enforceable.

The OP doesn't say whether NCP is in arrears.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
MuchNeededHelp,

Go pay for your help. Why should we help you when all you do is give attitude? :rolleyes:

BL

I'd also, for the OP's benefit, like to point out that there is a HUGE difference between a brand-spankin'-new child support ORDER from the courts vs. a child support CASE opened with CSEB. CSEB enforces a previous court order- presumably from the OP's divorce decree. So we need information from the DIVORCE DECREE in order to help. Unless OP has an updated CS order from the courts, the decree is the one that CSEB is attempting to use.

I cannot fathom why CSEB would tell OP that his divorce decree, which he states has CS/Custody information within, doesn't apply. Unless both OP and NCP agreed to discontinue child support with the courts blessing, the order is in fact, still enforceable.

The OP doesn't say whether NCP is in arrears.
While presumably CSEB does more but I doubt that's the case here.

1. Who can get help in obtaining child support?

Any parent or person who has legal custody of a child can get help in locating the child's other (non custodial) parent, establishing a child's paternity (legal fatherhood), establishing a child support order, modifying or upwardly adjusting a child support order, obtaining health insurance for a child, collecting current child support, and enforcing a child support obligation (collecting past due child support/arrears).

People who receive public assistance through the Family Assistance, Safety Net or Medicaid, or Federally-Assisted Foster Care programs automatically receive child support enforcement services. As a condition of eligibility for these programs, applicants and recipients are expected to cooperate in pursuing the child's other parent for the purpose of collecting child support unless there is reason to believe that doing so would put the custodial parent and/or the child(ren) at risk of domestic violence.

People not receiving public assistance can receive child support enforcement services by simply applying for such services, and without regard to income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">