• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY child support laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boatman75

OK
If you get divorced or have a child the Non Const parent is required to pay child support until the child is 21. What if the parents are married or still together can they kick their kid out at 18 and not have to support the "child" until they are 21?

What a messed up state

BL

I think you a reaching here .

First of all when parents are no longer living together and the child is still living with one parent , child support payments are determined by the NY State Child Support Standard's Act .

Secondly , there are many scenarios that may or may not require in tact Parents to either have to or not have to pay child support for an 18 yr. old living outside the household .

Your gripe is NY law state's age 21 for obligation and it won't be changed by both parents not residing in the State any longer .

jumac

senior correct me if i am wrong

Form the looks of OP post what he/she is asking is because the child support laws alow for up to the age of 21 dose that mean that in NY it is illegal for a parent to tell their 18 year old child that he/she has to leave and be on thier own or do they have to wait till the child is 21 to do so.

OP i don't know what laws you have to look up but i would be carful. Even if you can kick your child out at the age of 18 you may still be on the hook for helping to support them. For example here in Maine if a anyone under the age of 25 gose to their town/city for help with rent(not section 8 but genreal assistnace) they have to prove that their parents can't afford to help them pay rent. If the town/city say that the parents can afford then by law the parents have to help pay some or all the rent for person. This is in a state that child support stops at 18 or 19 if still in high school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">