• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY STATE Emancipation Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYDAD111

What is the name of your state? New York

I have not seen my son since the age of 13. He will turn age 18 in October. I tried several times to see him and contact him over the years. I have never faltered on my child support as I believe in supporting my children. (I have two by my xwife and two by my current wife) However, through the court and other, my son has refused to see me and/or communicate with me. With the permission of his mother, he quit school at the age of 16 and now works at her place of business. He also travels now and then with various bands. He has 3 tatoos and engages in recreational drug use. I have joint custody but have had no say in any of the decisions. The question is whether or not I have any ground to stand on concerning his emancipation. While his legal residence is with his mother, it is questionable as to how often he is actually there. He holds a full time job and has been alienated from me going on 5 years. I know the law of majority in NY is 21... but there are also extenuating circumstances..... do I have legal grounds to stand on to emancipate him?

Rushia

What is the name of your state? New York

I have not seen my son since the age of 13. He will turn age 18 in October. I tried several times to see him and contact him over the years. I have never faltered on my child support as I believe in supporting my children. (I have two by my xwife and two by my current wife) However, through the court and other, my son has refused to see me and/or communicate with me. With the permission of his mother, he quit school at the age of 16 and now works at her place of business. He also travels now and then with various bands. He has 3 tatoos and engages in recreational drug use. I have joint custody but have had no say in any of the decisions. The question is whether or not I have any ground to stand on concerning his emancipation. While his legal residence is with his mother, it is questionable as to how often he is actually there. He holds a full time job and has been alienated from me going on 5 years. I know the law of majority in NY is 21... but there are also extenuating circumstances..... do I have legal grounds to stand on to emancipate him?
Get a consult with an attorney in your area. A friend of mine was able to emacipate based on these circumstances, so you MAY have a chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">