+ Reply to Thread
    NYDAD111 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation NY STATE Emancipation Law

What is the name of your state? New York

I have not seen my son since the age of 13. He will turn age 18 in October. I tried several times to see him and contact him over the years. I have never faltered on my child support as I believe in supporting my children. (I have two by my xwife and two by my current wife) However, through the court and other, my son has refused to see me and/or communicate with me. With the permission of his mother, he quit school at the age of 16 and now works at her place of business. He also travels now and then with various bands. He has 3 tatoos and engages in recreational drug use. I have joint custody but have had no say in any of the decisions. The question is whether or not I have any ground to stand on concerning his emancipation. While his legal residence is with his mother, it is questionable as to how often he is actually there. He holds a full time job and has been alienated from me going on 5 years. I know the law of majority in NY is 21... but there are also extenuating circumstances..... do I have legal grounds to stand on to emancipate him?
    Rushia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDAD111 View Post
    What is the name of your state? New York

I have not seen my son since the age of 13. He will turn age 18 in October. I tried several times to see him and contact him over the years. I have never faltered on my child support as I believe in supporting my children. (I have two by my xwife and two by my current wife) However, through the court and other, my son has refused to see me and/or communicate with me. With the permission of his mother, he quit school at the age of 16 and now works at her place of business. He also travels now and then with various bands. He has 3 tatoos and engages in recreational drug use. I have joint custody but have had no say in any of the decisions. The question is whether or not I have any ground to stand on concerning his emancipation. While his legal residence is with his mother, it is questionable as to how often he is actually there. He holds a full time job and has been alienated from me going on 5 years. I know the law of majority in NY is 21... but there are also extenuating circumstances..... do I have legal grounds to stand on to emancipate him?
    Get a consult with an attorney in your area. A friend of mine was able to emacipate based on these circumstances, so you MAY have a chance.