• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oblige VS. ODJFS Who gets paid first?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RhondaJ1979

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio.
HI I'm in need of advice ASAP before I go to my hearing with Child Support. Here's the run down. Me, the Oblige, let the obligor claim all of our children this income tax season. I spoke to the child support office before the Obligor filed his taxes. I was told I would receive his refund for his tax return for 2015 due to him being in the arrears. Now Child Support has informed me that his refund check went to the STATE OF OHIO and I wont be getting it because I received cash assistance in 2011/2012. I was told the amount of his refund this year covered the whole dollar amount of the cash I received in 2011 from OHIO DJFS. I am wondering if I shouldn't have been paid first verses the state. I have a hearing tomorrow morning. My dad had to pay my mom off first out of his taxes and disability then paid the state for 7 years after he paid off my mom, he owed her 27,000 and she received cash assistance for years. She is the reason I'm asking, shes a know it all lol, but she did get her monies due and my dad did confirm that my mom was paid off first then the State of Ohio DJFS. Also I was under a Hardship Assistance not under normal cash assistance. I had to fit the criteria for the Hardship Assistance due to my Disability appeal status. :confused:

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio.
HI I'm in need of advice ASAP before I go to my hearing with Child Support. Here's the run down. Me, the Oblige, let the obligor claim all of our children this income tax season. I spoke to the child support office before the Obligor filed his taxes. I was told I would receive his refund for his tax return for 2015 due to him being in the arrears. Now Child Support has informed me that his refund check went to the STATE OF OHIO and I wont be getting it because I received cash assistance in 2011/2012. I was told the amount of his refund this year covered the whole dollar amount of the cash I received in 2011 from OHIO DJFS. I am wondering if I shouldn't have been paid first verses the state. I have a hearing tomorrow morning. My dad had to pay my mom off first out of his taxes and disability then paid the state for 7 years after he paid off my mom, he owed her 27,000 and she received cash assistance for years. She is the reason I'm asking, shes a know it all lol, but she did get her monies due and my dad did confirm that my mom was paid off first then the State of Ohio DJFS. Also I was under a Hardship Assistance not under normal cash assistance. I had to fit the criteria for the Hardship Assistance due to my Disability appeal status. :confused:
The state gets paid first. Your mom was lucky. How long have you have been disabled? How many children do you have with the obligor? How old are they?

RhondaJ1979

The state gets paid first. Your mom was lucky. How long have you have been disabled? How many children do you have with the obligor? How old are they?
. I have been denied my SSD 2 times now. I have PTSD, combined anxiety disorder, ADD, ADHD, depressive disorder, depression, fibromyalgia, sleep apnea and mirgraines. I have been being treated for these since atleast 2008. I have supported my girls alone cash wise except for the year I received cash assistance. Him and I have been separated 11 years and this is his FIRST year getting a tax return or filing taxes. Before last December he had only worked 1 year combined over the last 11 years. He had been at this job for 1 year now. I was a full time student but 2 of our 3 daughters have ADD ADHD ODD RAD, depression, and learning disablities with IEP for school so I missed to much school with their medical issues of attempted suicide, aggressive behavior etc and my own medical issues, I got put out of school because of absence. I took out a title loan to pay bills after spoke to child support and she said I would receive his return this year if he filed, I let him claim the girls this year if he filed. I have since had my car repo'd and cant pay my property taxes. I don't qualify for the hardship program in the county I am in now. Crazy how neighboring counties DJFS program criteria aare so different from either other. Also I would like to make it clear I am not a gold digger or after money. I have always been a very independent woman and done for my own on my own. Since I left the obligor due to his abuse and drug addiction. He doesn't visit my girls and has since made 5 more fatherless children with 1 on the way. I depend on him and his help at this time unfortunately. I am "unemployable" due to my anxiety PTSD from the domestic abuse and violence. I keep being denied SSD. Im just feeling worthless alone and drowning financially, as a woman and mother. lol ok rants over now. Thankx for respond with any helpful info.:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">