• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtained sole custody-Stopping child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frivvy89

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hello,

I moved to Alabama from Delaware and maybe 3 years later my children's mother showed up in Alabama and put me on child support. They gave me back support of $23,000 from the time the children were born. But my children & mother had only been living in Alabama a few months. About 6 months later I moved to Tennessee and received a call to come rescue my children from the state. I went and got them, I then requested for sole custody in Tennessee where I am presently living. I did get sole custody. My question is, how can Alabama give me back support if the mother had not been living in that state long enough to accumulate such a figure? Is there someway I can get this child support cut down or done away with? I am persuing child support from the mother who is incarcerated at this time. Also, can the child support be offset since the mother will have to pay me in the future?

Thank you for your help.
Earl:confused:What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

frivvy89 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hello,

I moved to Alabama from Delaware and maybe 3 years later my children's mother showed up in Alabama and put me on child support. They gave me back support of $23,000 from the time the children were born. But my children & mother had only been living in Alabama a few months. About 6 months later I moved to Tennessee and received a call to come rescue my children from the state. I went and got them, I then requested for sole custody in Tennessee where I am presently living. I did get sole custody. My question is, how can Alabama give me back support if the mother had not been living in that state long enough to accumulate such a figure? Is there someway I can get this child support cut down or done away with? I am persuing child support from the mother who is incarcerated at this time. Also, can the child support be offset since the mother will have to pay me in the future?

Thank you for your help.
Earl:confused:What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
You don't "Accumulate" child support rights. You either have them or not. Any court in any state can award back support based on the state statutes, and since we don't know the facts of the situation there's no way to tell you why the Alabama court awarded her support and why the timeframe was as it was.

What we CAN tell you is that until you file for a modification of support, even with custody, you are still liable for the support being paid.

As for offsetting the back support you owe, that is most likely owed to the state and NOT the mother, although you have given little facts from which to make that determination.

Point being, you need to file for support from the mother. now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">