• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio child support law change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

The law for child support is changing as of TOMORROW! This will actually help parents who may be behind keep their driver's license and professional licenses in order to keep working:
Changes to Ohio's child support laws arrive Wednesday
Sounds like they're trying to find a balance between NCP's obligations and child's need to be supported.

However, I'm shocked at:
"Two-thirds of the money is owed by people who earn less than $10,000 a year,"

So 2/3 of child support is owed by people who aren't even working full time? Maybe that's part of the problem. Or maybe the person was misquoted.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

The law for child support is changing as of TOMORROW! This will actually help parents who may be behind keep their driver's license and professional licenses in order to keep working:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/state/changes-to-ohios-child-support-laws-arrive-wednesday]Changes to Ohio's child support laws arrive Wednesday
I like that.
:):D;)
We can decide case-by-case to suppres some of the enforcement remedies, and have done so in cases where the NCP is making partial payments...

nextwife

Sounds like they're trying to find a balance between NCP's obligations and child's need to be supported.

However, I'm shocked at:
"Two-thirds of the money is owed by people who earn less than $10,000 a year,"

So 2/3 of child support is owed by people who aren't even working full time? Maybe that's part of the problem. Or maybe the person was misquoted.
Or perhaps by people who lost their jobs and can now only find part time work? Or lost better paying jobs and can only find low wage jobs in this economy? I work in default loans, and see this pattern all over our state: people who can't meet prior financial commitments bacuse of huge cut backs in hours, layoffs and no choice but part time work in some markets. I'm betting Ohio and WI business climates are not that different from each other. A lot of blue collar jobs GONE.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Or perhaps by people who lost their jobs and can now only find part time work? Or lost better paying jobs and can only find low wage jobs in this economy? I work in default loans, and see this pattern all over our state: people who can't meet prior financial commitments bacuse of huge cut backs in hours, layoffs and no choice but part time work in some markets. I'm betting Ohio and WI business climates are not that different from each other. A lot of blue collar jobs GONE.
I'm sure that happens. But unemployment rate is still around 10% even in those states.

Now, do the math. First, keep in mind that CS is highly dependent in income. Higher income people are going to pay more CS than lower income people, in general. Then, consider that if the person lost their job involuntarily, they can get CS modified. For 2/3 of all owed child support to come from the small fraction of people who earn less than $10 K is an amazing figure.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm sure that happens. But unemployment rate is still around 10% even in those states.

Now, do the math. First, keep in mind that CS is highly dependent in income. Higher income people are going to pay more CS than lower income people, in general. Then, consider that if the person lost their job involuntarily, they can get CS modified. For 2/3 of all owed child support to come from the small fraction of people who earn less than $10 K is an amazing figure.
YOu do realize that unemployment rates are determined in large part by the numbers receiving unemployment insurance payments, right? In Ohio there are many that do not receive unemployment any longer because it ran out but they are still trying to find work or they have taken jobs "beneath" them because that is all they have found and some judges have NOT lowered their child support because they CAN earn more than minimum wage based on what they have earned prior. Even if those jobs are no longer existing.

And until you have been unemployed for 60 days or so then you cannot file for an administrative review -- which could take six months before granted. AND the courts can take longer than that. All during which arrearages accrue. This law can be a help to those parents that are trying.

mistoffolees

YOu do realize that unemployment rates are determined in large part by the numbers receiving unemployment insurance payments, right? In Ohio there are many that do not receive unemployment any longer because it ran out but they are still trying to find work or they have taken jobs "beneath" them because that is all they have found and some judges have NOT lowered their child support because they CAN earn more than minimum wage based on what they have earned prior. Even if those jobs are no longer existing.

And until you have been unemployed for 60 days or so then you cannot file for an administrative review -- which could take six months before granted. AND the courts can take longer than that. All during which arrearages accrue. This law can be a help to those parents that are trying.
Yes, I understand all of that. But mathematically, it's a really hard thing to swallow. A few higher income people who kept their jobs make up for a huge number of lower income people. If I were a normal EOW parent, my CS would be equal to 10 or 20 minimum wage parents. So, mathematically, since 2/3 of all arrears are due to the low income people, that would mean that there would have to be 16 to 30 lower income people not paying for every one higher income person.

LdiJ

Yes, I understand all of that. But mathematically, it's a really hard thing to swallow. A few higher income people who kept their jobs make up for a huge number of lower income people. If I were a normal EOW parent, my CS would be equal to 10 or 20 minimum wage parents. So, mathematically, since 2/3 of all arrears are due to the low income people, that would mean that there would have to be 16 to 30 lower income people not paying for every one higher income person.
That figure really amazes me as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">