• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio child support laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? OH
I have seen other posts pertaining to children born after a previous order to collect. I finally have a day in court for contempt w/my ex. He is over 10,000 in arrears, half owed to the state. He has been working under the table for the 3 years of his son's life, other than about 5 sporadic payments made when we did contact employers. He hasn't filed taxes in over 6 yrs, and has a pregnant girlfriend. He says she will be coming so it will help his case. The child technically doesn't exist and may not be his, is Ohio included in the subsequent child law? He is talking about becoming self-employed as well so he can still be based on the minimum order.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ohiomomof3 said:
I have seen other posts pertaining to children born after a previous order to collect. I finally have a day in court for contempt w/my ex. He is over 10,000 in arrears, half owed to the state. He has been working under the table for the 3 years of his son's life, other than about 5 sporadic payments made when we did contact employers. He hasn't filed taxes in over 6 yrs, and has a pregnant girlfriend. He says she will be coming so it will help his case. The child technically doesn't exist and may not be his, is Ohio included in the subsequent child law? He is talking about becoming self-employed as well so he can still be based on the minimum order.
There are so many things wrong with what your ex is doing if it is all true. His pg gf won't help -- she is a legal stranger to this and he is not the legal father of the child until he files for paternity. Don't worry too much about it.

N

nicetryadmin

ohiomomof3 said:
Subsequent children are considered in the calculation of child support and can be a factor for modification.

NotSoNew

nicetryadmin said:
Subsequent children are considered in the calculation of child support and can be a factor for modification.
after they are born! it wont help him until the child is born and he is legally proved to be the father.

Thank you. I know it's different state to state but couldn't find out if Ohio was included or not. I tried to tell him that it would only hurt him bringing up the fact he has another one on the way. I will update to let you know how it goes.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
nicetryadmin said:
ONLY if it is a downward deviation however there are many things wrong with this situation as described. He and his pregnant gf are not married which means there is paternity issue involved. Pg gf would have to get a paternity order and support order in place and then the first child would take priority due to the circumstances of the order already existing. Prior children get priority in support orders.

mcwjjm

Ohio

Therefore the CS for my 8 year old wouldn't be affected, and the upcoming CS order for my other two children would [based on the existing order]?

mcwjjm said:
Therefore the CS for my 8 year old wouldn't be affected, and the upcoming CS order for my other two children would [based on the existing order]?
Are you the OP under a different name? If not, it is best to start a new subject of your own instead of hijacking others. :)

N

nicetryadmin

NotSoNew said:
after they are born! it wont help him until the child is born and he is legally proved to be the father.
Well I was hoping the OP would assume this. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">