• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oklahoma Child Support issues...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justasomebody

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Hello Everyone,

I apologize in advance for the possibility of this post getting too long; I'm not entirely certain what information is needed. I'll try to keep it short and to the point.

In 2012 I was awarded a court order for child support in the amount of $272.00 (Father claimed he was "unemployed" at the time but was working at the BX and in the process of enlisting). The order itself is multi-state and setup between Idaho and Oklahoma. Oklahoma has been a pain in the bum for the last four years! The first problem started when he wasn't paying his child support by the date stated within our order. He was paying it weeks later. I contacted the CS agency and asked why they were not automatically withholding the payment, as our order states will be done, and they informed me they wouldn't do that until AFTER he was in arrears or late a certain number of times. I found that odd since the order clearly states the payments are to be taken out of his paycheck, but let it go because the woman basically called me a liar. The next major pain occurred in 2014 when I requested that our son be placed on his fathers Tricare. Our order states that the parent that can provide health insurance at a cheaper rate will be responsible for provide said insurance. My insurance premium was $400, his is free. He's obviously legally responsible via order. The CS agency informed me he "wasn't" in the military and all but called me a liar until I brought in paperwork from DEERS showing his enlistment, active status, and his new address. He'd never reported ANY of it. As far as they were concerned he was still unemployed, living in his parents spare room, and playing video games all day. So I then had to provide them a copy of our court order, because they'd lost theirs, to prove that he was indeed responsible for our sons health insurance. They refused to help me handle the situation and my lawyer told me that I shouldn't make contact with him, so I had to go through his S Sgt, who let him send me invalid paperwork as far as the army is concerned because there is no date on it. So he's still NOT covering our sons health insurance and the state refuses to do a damn thing about it. The next problem occurred when I started comparing the states quarterly reports with the actual deposits made onto the Oklahoma CS card. According to the reports he's up to date on payments, if you look at the deposits actually made by him on the card he's in arrears by $500.00.When contacted the agency informed me there was nothing they could do. He refuses to help cover work related daycare expenses even though our order clearly states he'll be responsible to 50% of the cost, above and beyond our order. Then this year he decided to claim our son as his dependent. The child has never lived with him. He's never met our son. He's never contacted me about the well being of our son. He's never contacted me to show interest in our son, even though he has plenty of outlets to do so (social media, phone number, and the likes). But he somehow thinks that because he pays $3,000 a year, less than that when you take into consideration he's in arrears, he's entitled to claim my son as an exemption and get back his child support and then some. They also refuse to reevaluate the case. I've requested it be done TWICE in the last four years, because I know for a fact he's making more money, and they simply do not do their jobs.

Is there a way around dealing with Idaho and Oklahoma? (Other that moving out of the state. Which is honestly an option at this point. I'm fed up with their crap.) If there is no way around dealing with Oklahoma, how can I get them to do their job? I'm seriously over this. It's been a fight for four years and honestly the headache that it brings isn't worth the annual child support payment. Oh and can he claim our son on his return? I'm over this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds like you may want to return to court for clarification and review of the orders.

LdiJ

FYI:

If you mail in a paper tax return instead of filing electronically, and claim your child, you will get your refund. It will take 4-6 weeks to get it, but you will get it. The IRS will investigate later on down the road, dad won't be able to prove that the child lives with him, and dad will have to pay back the excess refund that he received.

Or, if you have already filed, amend your return and add your son. It will take 8-12 weeks to get the additional refund, but the rest of the process will be the same as the above.

justasomebody

It sounds like you may want to return to court for clarification and review of the orders.
Am I going to have to get a lawyer to do this? Because I've written the CS agency to request that they do this stuff twice now, the third attempt was started this past Monday, and every time I've requested it (the original order was the last attention this case seen) they claim they're going to get started on it and I never hear from them again. Well, no, that's a lie; the first time they claimed they "couldn't find" him. (You're taking his piss ant payments but you can't find him? Interesting).

justasomebody

FYI:

If you mail in a paper tax return instead of filing electronically, and claim your child, you will get your refund. It will take 4-6 weeks to get it, but you will get it. The IRS will investigate later on down the road, dad won't be able to prove that the child lives with him, and dad will have to pay back the excess refund that he received.

Or, if you have already filed, amend your return and add your son. It will take 8-12 weeks to get the additional refund, but the rest of the process will be the same as the above.
Thanks! I did e-file on Monday and then was informed I was going to have to paper file because "someone" was already claiming my son as a dependent. I was kind of worried I was going to have to come up with money for the IRS, as the sole caregiver for my son I don't have any time for prison. Ha!

justasomebody

Can I request they close this case? Odd question, I know, but I am considering taking a job at a hospital in Texas (pay is better and it'll be in a bigger place, where I feel I can find better schooling for little man) and I'm curious if it'd be easier to to just close this particular case and let Texas and Washington deal with it the new case, instead of leaving it open in Oklahoma/Idaho jurisdiction, trying to transfer it to Texas/Washington?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Am I going to have to get a lawyer to do this? Because I've written the CS agency to request that they do this stuff twice now, the third attempt was started this past Monday, and every time I've requested it (the original order was the last attention this case seen) they claim they're going to get started on it and I never hear from them again. Well, no, that's a lie; the first time they claimed they "couldn't find" him. (You're taking his piss ant payments but you can't find him? Interesting).
The problem is that you're not dealing with just child support - besides, do you REALLY want to trust the GOVERNMENT to handle your affairs?

justasomebody

The problem is that you're not dealing with just child support - besides, do you REALLY want to trust the GOVERNMENT to handle your affairs?
Oh no, I barely trust the government to do the limited job they have now (let's face it they fail, and they fail hard). Honestly, I want him to sign over his parental rights, that's what would make me happy, but realistically since it'd make me happy he's not going to do it. Which is asinine because he has no interest in the child. I am just trying to find the quickest and best way to deal with (or stop dealing with) Oklahoma and Idaho. The whole ordeal has me questioning my sanity... I clearly shouldn't have allowed people to convince me that child support was the "best way to go".

t74

First, you picked him to be the father of your child so you are going to have to deal with the problems.

Second, take a chill pill because you are not doing yourself a favor getting so upset.

Third, write down what you have already done. Your narrative had my head spinning.

Fourth, write down what you want to accomplish and how you plan to do so. Once you have a concise list and know what has not worked, you may decide to use an attorney and will be prepared for a consultation. The bar association can provide referrals if you do not already have an attorney.

Oklahoma child support workers are overworked and overwhelmed with their caseloads. They have other priorities in the agency that are related to court ordered actions; there is a high turnover of workers; this is often reported in the news media. While this does not help you out, it will explain some of your difficulties. You need to be persistent but not get angry at them; you are not their only case and there are many people who are in far worse shape than $500 in arrears. The military will not permit a parent to fail to follow the court order. It sounds like you know his command location; seek out their assistance especially with the insurance.

Finally, relax as best you can. Your stress and anger will adversely affect your child. Be confident that this will get worked out. I got stressed just reading your narrative. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">