• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JRINGO1111

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

MY WIFE IS TRYING TO COLLECT BACK CHILD SUPPORT FROM ME.
MY CHILD IS NOW 26. i HAD CUSTODY OF MY CHILD FROM THE AGE OF 12 TO 18. WHAT IS THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR BACK CHILD CHILD SUPPORT. MY CHILD IS NOW 26 SO THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN 14 YEARS AGOWhat is the name of your state?

Just Blue

JRINGO1111 said:

MY CHILD IS NOW 26. i HAD CUSTODY OF MY CHILD FROM THE AGE OF 12 TO 18. WHAT IS THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR BACK CHILD CHILD SUPPORT. MY CHILD IS NOW 26 SO THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN 14 YEARS AGOWhat is the name of your state?

Why are you yelling at us?:(

MrsK

JRINGO1111 said:

Hey dude...

WE NEED SOME MORE INFORMATION. WHAT AGE WAS THE CHILD WHEN YOU DIVORCED? DID YOU PAY SUPPORT DURING THE TIME HE/SHE LIVED WITH YOUR WIFE? DID YOU EVER LEGALLY CHANGE CUSTODY OR DID THE CHILD JUST GO AND LIVE WITH YOU?

ALSO- TRY the correct way to type works. You know, capital AND lower case letters. If you are going to ask for help, the least you could do is make it easy for people to read.

gotta jump in here

My father in-law (who also lives in Texas) found out 10 years ago that he had "another child" who at that time was 38yo. At the age of 67 he had to start paying the mom of this adult child, CHILD SUPPORT**************

I think.... and just me thinking here. It never goes away unless you have paid it in full......

ceara19

Confusedtoo said:
My father in-law (who also lives in Texas) found out 10 years ago that he had "another child" who at that time was 38yo. At the age of 67 he had to start paying the mom of this adult child, CHILD SUPPORT**************

I think.... and just me thinking here. It never goes away unless you have paid it in full......
Do you have a link to this case? I've never heard of TEXAS going back after 38 YEARS to collect support. How did they determain the amount that he should pay? Was it based on what he earned at the time or his current earnings? Were the guidelines that were in place at the time followed or the current guidelines used?

Your FIL could have hired a marginally okay attorney to get him out of this if the facts are true.

remember, I'm not the original poster.... I just added what had happen to my FIL....

To your question, the courts when by his current earnings.. which is soc. security and his wages (he is still a practicing physician). I don't have a "link" to this case. This happen prior to my marriage to his son.... But, I do know that there is a court order for him to pay "old back chid support". I don't know how much or for how long... I do know is that he is scared that if he makes a few dollars more, she will go back and increase the child support.

It was just my two cents about something that had happen to someone.

JRINGO1111

Re: Old Child Support

Sorry about the font......geez is that so important when someone has a cry for help?
ok...I had a court order for 250.00 a month. I waqs fully paid up until my child was 6 yrs old ....I then lost my job...and for the next 6 years I paid what I could. never less than 100.00/month. At the age of 12....I got a protective order of temporary custody due to the sadistic treatment of my child by her mother. Her teachers and school nurce testified. for the next 6 years I had total custody****************************so....I paid full child support for six years...then partial support for the next 6 years.....then she lived with me for the rest of her minor years**************..now my wife is sueing me for 17 years of back child support and the attorney general is going with her**************...so ...any advice?

There isn't a statue of limitations on collecting past due child support in TX. She'll be able to collect what you never paid. You may be able to get out of the years she was with you though. You should get an attorney.

Was there an order for support against her when you gained custody?

kat1963

Research the laches defense (omission to assert a right for an unreasonable period of time, without explanation, which results in material prejudice to the adverse party).

KAT

Gracie3787

JRINGO1111 said:
Sorry about the font......geez is that so important when someone has a cry for help?
ok...I had a court order for 250.00 a month. I waqs fully paid up until my child was 6 yrs old ....I then lost my job...and for the next 6 years I paid what I could. never less than 100.00/month. At the age of 12....I got a protective order of temporary custody due to the sadistic treatment of my child by her mother. Her teachers and school nurce testified. for the next 6 years I had total custody****************************so....I paid full child support for six years...then partial support for the next 6 years.....then she lived with me for the rest of her minor years**************..now my wife is sueing me for 17 years of back child support and the attorney general is going with her**************...so ...any advice?
At the time that you gained custody, was the court order modified?
If not, it could be a big problem, without the modification you would be charged the CS every month, and still TECHNICALLY owe it. Obviously you do owe some arrears for the amounts not paid during the last 6 yrs before gaining custody, but you may be able to do something about any CS charged to you after custody.

Another poster brought up a good point, the defense of laches. You can also ask an attorney about the possibilty of YOU filing for CS from HER, for the time you had custody (if she didn't pay any CS). It may not be possible to actually get support from her, but it can sure be a good bargaining tool.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">