• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One night stand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomcitizen

I live in Washington currently, the papers are coming from Alaska. I had a regrettable one-night-stand about two years ago. She texted me later saying she was pregnant and later again saying she wouldn't ask for any money if I signed papers saying I would having nothing to do with the child. I lost contact with her before any of this happened. Now, two years later, I have just had to sign for a certified mail from Alaska Child Support saying they are filing for it. I am married and just had a baby 2 months ago. Wife quit her job to take care of it so I'm the main source of income. I see there is a check box for DNA testing, but there is a big chance he is mine. What should my first course be?

Sincerely,
John Doe

Just Blue

I live in Washington currently, the papers are coming from Alaska. I had a regrettable one-night-stand about two years ago. She texted me later saying she was pregnant and later again saying she wouldn't ask for any money if I signed papers saying I would having nothing to do with the child. I lost contact with her before any of this happened. Now, two years later, I have just had to sign for a certified mail from Alaska Child Support saying they are filing for it. I am married and just had a baby 2 months ago. Wife quit her job to take care of it so I'm the main source of income. I see there is a check box for DNA testing, but there is a big chance he is mine. What should my first course be?

Sincerely,
John Doe
Check the box for DNA.

Do not refer to your child as "it".

And tell wife she may have to go back to work as you may have 2 children to support.

justalayman

Sincerely,
John Doe
check the box for DNA testing and send it back

Just Blue

So my only course is to stall?
With this post I see why you are in this pickle.

No...The best course is to affirm you are indeed the childs father and then support said child. Give your wife a heads up that her world, as she currently knows it, may change. :)

randomcitizen

With this post I see why you are in this pickle.

No...The best course is to affirm you are indeed the childs father and then support said child. Give your wife a heads up that her world, as she currently knows it, may change. :)
She just recently resigned so it's not a big thing for her to work again. Although, isn't child support based on income? Wouldn't we be paying more if she had a job?

Just Blue

She just recently resigned so it's not a big thing for her to work again. Although, isn't child support based on income? Wouldn't we be paying more if she had a job?
Your wife is only responsible for supporting HER CHILD. But, if the DNA test confirms you have another child, your solo income will not be enough. Per your first posting.
You should have thought about this before that "unfortunate one night stand". :(

Proserpina

Sincerely,
John Doe
With your particular brand of potty mouth, I'm heavily in favor of Mom filing for, and receiving, an order for child support back-dated to birth.

(The child's birth, that is)

Start saving.

Just Blue

And what happens then? I already told you there's a good chance "it's" mine. Do I lay back and accept the money rape? Should I pursue the text messages and take it to court? Is there poverty lines that restrict how much she can take from me? I came here first before an attorney because of that reason and you guys should really know the kind of people that come on this site are not ones that can afford attorneys. Check the box and find an attorney are bull****, get my invisible forum points up answers. If you've never been in this situation or do not have any real advice, please stop posting.

Make sure this is really your child before signing off on child support. And don't go into court referring to your child/ren as "it". Geesh.

Last edited by a moderator:

justalayman

So my only course is to stall?
That's not stalling. It is exercising due caution and ensuring that the child is in. Fact yours. You would be a fool to blindly accept that the child in question is yours without a DNA test unless you had the mother under lock and key for at least a month prior and after the presumed day of conception. Even then it would still be prudent to have a DNa test to be certain.

single317dad

While the OP is "stalling", he should set aside funds in an amount approximately equal to the support that will be due when he is adjudged the father of the child, so as to avoid the unpleasant problem of arrears from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">