• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options for an 18 year old recieving child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael554

Mississippi

So I don't know all of the details about child support that my father is paying but I do know the $ amount and how long it is legally still supposed to happen.
My mother is getting directly paid for child support, me and her are having money disputes due to how to pay for college. Am i 100% entitled to this money and only me? I know for a fact that next to none of it is going to anything for me. Not to any college bill not to any medical bills and not to any insurance, I am in desperate need of help to pay for college and all the things that go with that. Any advice or facts would be much appreciated.

Another question if I do end up an independent that would most likely void his legal requirement to pay child support right?

Eekamouse

Mississippi

So I don't know all of the details about child support that my father is paying but I do know the $ amount and how long it is legally still supposed to happen.
My mother is getting directly paid for child support, me and her are having money disputes due to how to pay for college. Am i 100% entitled to this money and only me? I know for a fact that next to none of it is going to anything for me. Not to any college bill not to any medical bills and not to any insurance, I am in desperate need of help to pay for college and all the things that go with that. Any advice or facts would be much appreciated.

Another question if I do end up an independent that would most likely void his legal requirement to pay child support right?
Are you living with your mother? If so, that support money is going towards rent, food, etc. You want to go to college? Get a job to pay for it.

LdiJ

Mississippi

No, you are not 100% entitled to that money. In fact, you are not entitled to it at all. I suggest that you figure out what your proportional share of the rent, utilities, sundries, food bills, transportation costs, and everything else that makes up everyday living expenses before you get arrogant enough to say that none of it is doing anything for you.

NellieBly

Do you have a place to live, food to eat, clothes to wear?

Who is paying for that?

At any rate, community college is a bargain.

And what's that "me and her" crap?

OHRoadwarrior

As MS has an age of majority for minors of 21, you are unlikely to escape from moms loving home she provided with the child support. Do some chores and she might work with you on the distribution of support for pocket money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">