• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Order to show cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spidan1968

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
I have an order to show cause in back child support. My ex wife contacted the DA at the child support office and filed papers to cancel the child support and I had to send in a letter to agree to waving the 60 days waiting period.She doesn't need the support and filed the papers to keep me from going to court.The problem is its been 2 weeks since we did this and I have heard nothing from the DA.I am wondering if I still need to go to court or what happens now? Thank you

mistoffolees

I have an order to show cause in back child support. My ex wife contacted the DA at the child support office and filed papers to cancel the child support and I had to send in a letter to agree to waving the 60 days waiting period.She doesn't need the support and filed the papers to keep me from going to court.The problem is its been 2 weeks since we did this and I have heard nothing from the DA.I am wondering if I still need to go to court or what happens now? Thank you
If you have an order to go to court, you go to court. If the court doesn't want you to go, they'll send you an official document canceling the hearing.

But, frankly, people who don't pay their child support generally lose hearings like this. It doesn't matter whether you think Mom needs the money or not. You have an obligation to support your child(ren). The easiest thing is to simply pay your support on time.

CSO286

First, it doesn't matter if she "needs" the support or not. You have an obligation to provide for the mutual child. And it sounds like you have a court order to do so. Failing ot pay as ordered--results in contempt charges.

And, she file the OSC to "keep you from going to court" for what?

tuffbrk

I took this as the ex wife felt she didn't need the outstanding CS and put in paperwork to have it cancelled so that OP would not have to go to court.

Unless you rec'd a notice cancelling the court date, you need to go. I strongly encourage you to bring the paperwork filed by your ex.

If the judge sees that the two of you have reached an amicable agreement, it is possible that it will be dismissed. Of course, it is also possible that you will have to pay a purge amount.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">