• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ordered to Show Cause in a court that no longer has jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas and Indiana

Ok.. I am going to keep this short.

I live in Texas.. my ex lives in Indiana.

Early last year (2009) I filed to modify child support. After much wrangling.. my ex moved to have the jurisdiction of the case moved to Indiana. The motion was granted as of January 2010, and the case (both child supprt and custody) was moved to Indiana.

Today (June 7th, 2010).. I received a letter for the Attorney General of Texas stating that I need to show cause for my arrearage of child support int the court that no longer has jurisdiction - according to their own documents.

It also doesn't help that the judge in thsi court transferred it to another court in the same building.

As far as my knowledge goes... the court that I am to appear to no longer has jurisdiction... so therefore no cause in this case.

The OAG sent me a report of my payments... which doesn't include ANY payments that I have sent, nor the reception of my tax returns. I have receipts of my payments, and the record from the IRS that shows over $10K of tax returns that my ex has received.

Am I still behind? Yes. But what I find ironic is that this court is the court that signed off on the transfer of jurisdiction, but yet they are ordering me to show cause in their court that they say no longer has any say.

I am also not as far behind as what they are saying that I am.

Any advice?

Reviewed the paperwork a little more throughly.

The OAG is claiming they have continuing jurisdiction because of prior precedings.

The funny thing is that the OAG's own numbers are not right. They have not taken into account the tax refunds that my ex has received, plus other payments I have sent in.

Am I totally caught up? No... but the numbers that the OAG is trying to come after with are not right. Therefore, I guess thats what I have to show at the show cause hearing.

I have also come into information that shows my ex-wife has been downloading public records concerning my CH 13 and things like that. This is all public record, and I think she is doing this to either a)try to build up a case against me, or b)just to think that she has some sort of stupid power by knowing dirty laundry. (None of which I have tried to hide, namely because you cannot hide CH 13 cases because they are public record.)

I also think this is payback because I tried to get the medical records of my daughters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">