• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Orthodontic reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jdh55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

Per my divorce decree I am to pay 50% of any reasonable non covered medical, dental and ocular expenses. My ex is suppose to notify and send me a copy of the bill within 30 days of the incurring the expense. In May of 2016 she sent me an email saying our daughter needs braces and I already paid the down payment..prior to that email we had never discussed our daughter needing braces. In addition, to date, she hasn't sent me a copy of any bill from the ortho DR. My question is what is my legal responsibility in this situation? I don't have the money to pay for the braces.

LdiJ

Florida

Per my divorce decree I am to pay 50% of any reasonable non covered medical, dental and ocular expenses. My ex is suppose to notify and send me a copy of the bill within 30 days of the incurring the expense. In May of 2016 she sent me an email saying our daughter needs braces and I already paid the down payment..prior to that email we had never discussed our daughter needing braces. In addition, to date, she hasn't sent me a copy of any bill from the ortho DR. My question is what is my legal responsibility in this situation? I don't have the money to pay for the braces.
I suspect that she hasn't had an additional bill to provide just yet. You can certainly argue against paying for the braces on the basis that she did not give you any input into the decision to get them, however, if they are medically necessary for your daughter, its likely that in the end, you are going to have to pay for half of them. You might check into getting on an installment plan with the Orthodontist for your half.

Florida

The down payment is often for the xrays and spacers to start the process. Braces may start much later (often they wait for the 12yr molars to come in). It is pretty much standard practice to be on a payment plan for 2-4yrs, and you could just split the payments up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can certainly argue against paying for the braces on the basis that she did not give you any input into the decision to get them...
Per the OP, that's not a requirement of the court order.

Jdh55

Thanks for the information. When I replied to the original email about the braces and down payment she had made I told her I couldn't afford braces at this time...her reply she basically said the braces are already in her mouth so pay up.

Unless your daughter has some serious dental issues that go beyond the cosmetic, I would ask a judge for clarification before I paid a cent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">