• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Orthodontics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neil123

What is the name of your state? Fl

My ex is suppose to consult with me reguarding major decsions about the kids. If we dont agree then she gets to make the decsion unless I take it to court and then the coourts can override her.
A few months ago my ex sent me a letter that our 9 almost 10 year old needed braces. We are suppose to split any uncovered medical, dental and orthodontic expenses that are reasonable and medically necessary.
My ex's husband has insurance on the kids...so some of it is covered. But about 1200 is not and that is my part.
How is it that a 9 year old needs braces this soon,,,could I fight it based on I do not think it is necessary?
My ex keeps saying the orthodontist say she needs them to avoid major problems down the road-good grief she is 9!!!!
I beleive this is her way of draining me more finacially. I am already 10k behind on child support and can't catch up. How can I be expected to pay for this too.

moburkes

My ex is suppose to consult with me reguarding major decsions about the kids. If we dont agree then she gets to make the decsion unless I take it to court and then the coourts can override her.
A few months ago my ex sent me a letter that our 9 almost 10 year old needed braces. We are suppose to split any uncovered medical, dental and orthodontic expenses that are reasonable and medically necessary.
My ex's husband has insurance on the kids...so some of it is covered. But about 1200 is not and that is my part.
How is it that a 9 year old needs braces this soon,,,could I fight it based on I do not think it is necessary?
My ex keeps saying the orthodontist say she needs them to avoid major problems down the road-good grief she is 9!!!!
I beleive this is her way of draining me more finacially. I am already 10k behind on child support and can't catch up. How can I be expected to pay for this too.
My daughter will need braces by age 7. Therefore age 9 is not reasonable. However, I have 1 question. Are you supposed to SPLIT the uncovered medical bills? You also stated that you could go to cort over it. Why aren't you exercising that option?

Gracie3787

Your first paragraph is your answer. Take her to court where she'll have to produce proof that the braces are medically necessary. Be prepared though, in some cases braces are actually necessary for a 9 yr old.
Have you talked to the orthodontist about the situation? That should be your first step, then go from there.

neil123

yes, I have to pay 50 % of uncovered expenses deemed medically necessary. If she fronts the bill I have to reimburse her within 30days. She keeps sending me stuff like the RX co pays and junk I havnt paid them. They are so petty like 3.00 and stuff....why is she even bothering me with such petty amounts? But I am sure she will take me to court over the big one.
I am not taking it to court becaue she is suppose to confer with me first...she didnt...so I dont think I should have to go along with it.

Gracie3787

My daughter will need braces by age 7. Therefore age 9 is not reasonable. However, I have 1 question. Are you supposed to SPLIT the uncovered medical bills? You also stated that you could go to cort over it. Why aren't you exercising that option?
I'm a slow typist and you posted while I was still typing my answer.:D I wondered about the split cost also.

Gracie3787

yes, I have to pay 50 % of uncovered expenses deemed medically necessary. If she fronts the bill I have to reimburse her within 30days. She keeps sending me stuff like the RX co pays and junk I havnt paid them. They are so petty like 3.00 and stuff....why is she even bothering me with such petty amounts? But I am sure she will take me to court over the big one.
I am not taking it to court becaue she is suppose to confer with me first...she didnt...so I dont think I should have to go along with it.
Whoa, you are headed for big problems. Although it's understandable that you are upset about the petty amounts- it does NOT mean that you don't have to pay them. My Uncle had similar problems, he set each one aside then on the tenth of every month he paid them all at once- it worked for him and it really got to my Aunt because he was paying them instead of letting her get to him.

Her not conferring with you will make your case in court even stronger, so exercise your right to LEGALLY object to what she's doing. Most importantly, non payment will make things WORSE for you- not better.

neil123

ok received an email from her. I brought up the fact that she didnt confer with me first. She must have spoke with an attorney because her response was that she let me know about this 3 months ago and I did not pose any objections or make any attempt to be involved in the consulataion with the orthodontist. Her words not mine,
She further goes on to say quote our parenting agreement that I am not to rely soley on her for matters concerning our children that I am to speak directly with any doctor or teacher should I have questions or concerns. She then wrote that since I have made no objection or initiative to be involved she decided to proceed.
THIS IS BULL!!!

moburkes

ok received an email from her. I brought up the fact that she didnt confer with me first. She must have spoke with an attorney because her response was that she let me know about this 3 months ago and I did not pose any objections or make any attempt to be involved in the consulataion with the orthodontist. Her words not mine,
She further goes on to say quote our parenting agreement that I am not to rely soley on her for matters concerning our children that I am to speak directly with any doctor or teacher should I have questions or concerns. She then wrote that since I have made no objection or initiative to be involved she decided to proceed.
THIS IS BULL!!!
Take her to court. Lose the attitude. Ask for proof that she previously informed you. Explain to the judge that you don't have the money, and that if the child was in your household it would have to be put off.

neil123

Thanks for the quick replies....She has the proof unfortunaltely, and I am pretty certain that the Orthodontist will have the documentation needed. She is saying that she is making payments and that once she makes a payment then I have to reimburse her for that payment. So in other words she is glossing this over by not paying it all up front.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for the quick replies....She has the proof unfortunaltely, and I am pretty certain that the Orthodontist will have the documentation needed. She is saying that she is making payments and that once she makes a payment then I have to reimburse her for that payment. So in other words she is glossing this over by not paying it all up front.
Actually you are looking for something to complaint about. YOu only have to reiumburse her for half of what she has paid. So she is actually being nice to you. And if she has the proof then you are screwed. You just don't want your child to have braces it sounds like. How is she "glossing this over" -- would you rather she pay it all at once and send you a big bill?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So she DID inform you, you didn't object AND you didn't speak with the orthodontist? How long did you think she should have to wait for you to say yes or no, or decide to get involved?

GrowUp!

THIS IS BULL!!!

So, how did she "let you know"? Did she say "I think she needs braces" or Did she just tell you that the child was going to go to an orthodontist for a consulation? Or did she say "she needs braces and she's been to Dr. Giggles and he said ____ and the cost would be _____", etc. Did she give you notice of all appointments, like the initial consultation? Is this orthodontist in-network? Were multiple orthodontists consulted?

These are important questions that you need to keep in mind. Like, if she wants the child to have invinsible braces, then she should pay for all of that (diff between reg and invisible). If she didn't go to an in-network provider, then you should insist that she pay the difference. If she didn't make you aware of costs or even of the appointments (like the initial consultation), you could argue that you were completely left out of the decision-making process and your ability to compare multiple orthodontists' prices and services.
Also, if your order says "medically necessary", argue how "necessary" these are. Could it have waited for ____ months/years, etc.?
the important thing is how you were consulted and exactly what was said to you.

You won't be able to get out of paying a portion of the orthodontist bill, but it'll depend on the actions/inactions of both parties beforehand. You already know, via email, the cards your ex will play. I would suggest not letting her know what you're thinking. If you have the option of taking it to court, then I suggest you do it. If she truly did not CONSULT you, then you need to make a strong argument about it and ask for all evidence to support all stuff she says. Just some suggestions.

As far as co-pays you mentioned before, does your order state anything about her being responsible for the first ____ dollars per year?

Last edited:

nextwife

My daughter has been seeing the Orthodontal Dept at a highly rated Dental Schhol at a nearby university. One of the top professors (and a well-rated private practice orthodontist) sees her each six months, and will eventually be handling her braces. He stated that nine IS too young, because the supporting teeth for the appliance are still coming in and doing it too early creates more problems. Because they have to redo the appliance as the supporting teeth on the sides drop out and come in. He wants her to wait about two years. He said that those peers of hers that already have braces have them too early. He teaches future orthodontists, and says that nine is too early.

BTW- the braces done there will cost us about half, the only catch is that other dental students will watch and assist.

haiku

the bottom line for me here, is WHY, if your ex hands you a huge bill and says 'she needs them" WHY did you not immediately get on the phone and make an appointment yourself with this orthodontist?

Tooder

My daughter needed braces at age 9! It depends on dental development

My daughter was very advanced in her dental developement where my son was delayed.
I ended up having both kids get braces at the same time. My dauther just turned 10 when the braces went on and my son was 13. The only one issue with my daughter was one tooth not completely in so they placed a spacer in that spot in my daughters mouth and put the bracket on when the tooth was completely erupted. If they hadn't done the braces when they did, the erupting last tooth would have pointed down to the inside of her bottom teeth instead of coming down on the outside of them. Their braces were $3700 each. Yes, EACH. $7200 in braces total. They will soon be done and in retainers. Thank goodness!

It sounds like the remainder for your child's braces is $1200 after insurance? This means you are responsible for half that - $600. If she is making payments then contact the orthodontist directly and set up payments on half the due amount. Otherwise she can take you to court and get you to not only pay your share, but also all her attorney's fees for being in contempt. Get copies of all records and payments from themm that were made along with the amounts paid by insurance so you know exactly what you will owe. You admitted she notified you by letter months ago. The fact you did nothing to act on that letter puts you behind the 8-ball. Trust me, the courts are not nice to men and you would not win in court. I know, my current husband was shafted big time by the courts. Do what you need to cover yourself. If that means pay your share, then just pay it. It will save you more money in the long run. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">