• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are orthodontics a medical necessity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcs2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have already spent nearly $4,000 on orthodontics for my daughter. She has lost her retainer and her teeth have separated slightly. She is in no pain or discomfort, can eat fine, talk fine, etc. My ex is taking me back to court to pay an additional $1,450 for top braces and new retainers. This issue is not specifically addressed in our support order

The support magistrate scheduled a hearing to show medical necessity or not. I am trying to prove the "not". Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Antigone*

I have already spent nearly $4,000 on orthodontics for my daughter. She has lost her retainer and her teeth have separated slightly. She is in no pain or discomfort, can eat fine, talk fine, etc. My ex is taking me back to court to pay an additional $1,450 for top braces and new retainers. This issue is not specifically addressed in our support order

The support magistrate scheduled a hearing to show medical necessity or not. I am trying to prove the "not". Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Really:confused::confused::rolleyes: Get her orthodontist to say it is purely cosmetic.

Silverplum

Thanks
IMHO, once the orthodontic process is in progress, there's no arguing any more about "necessary."

ecmst12

This is negligence on the part of BOTH parents, allowing the child to lose the retainer. Ideally SHE would be paying for the extra stuff.

CSO286

I should also add my daughter is 15y/o.
Then she should be responsible enough not to lose a retainer. I've heard horror stories about kids ahving to dig through trash bins after lunch because he or she accidentally threw it away after they ate......

Parent can/should pay for it and make the child reimburse both of them their shares.

mistoffolees

This is negligence on the part of BOTH parents, allowing the child to lose the retainer. Ideally SHE would be paying for the extra stuff.
I should also add my daughter is 15y/o.
Negligence on the part of the parents? I don't think so. A 15 year old should be able to keep track of her own retainer.

I'd find a way for the child to pay it back. She's old enough to have odd jobs - and will soon be old enough (if she isn't already) to have a 'regular' job.

Antigone*

Then she should be responsible enough not to lose a retainer. I've heard horror stories about kids ahving to dig through trash bins after lunch because he or she accidentally threw it away after they ate......

Parent can/should pay for it and make the child reimburse both of them their shares.
Lil tigi got her braces off three months ago, and I've already shelled out for another set of retainers. It is just part of the being a kid thing.

I think it is very sad to see parents arguing over paying for this when it is a true benefit to the child.

Now, when lil tigi turns 18, or has a job those extra retainers are on her.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">