• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of court settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gibson1957

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois. have been paying for many years but the balance never goes down. I thought of an out of court settlement.my daughter is now 27. i owe $4000 to her mother(custodial parent) $38,000 to state for interest and fees. And $16,000 to human services because custodial parent was on welfare. If i reach settlement with custodial parent will this take care of fees to state and human services?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois. have been paying for many years but the balance never goes down. I thought of an out of court settlement.my daughter is now 27. i owe $4000 to her mother(custodial parent) $38,000 to state for interest and fees. And $16,000 to human services because custodial parent was on welfare. If i reach settlement with custodial parent will this take care of fees to state and human services?
No, it will not.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nope. The tax payers like to recoup the money loaned to you for the care of your children. So they can help the next child w/deadbeat parent(s).

All you can do is reach a settlement with your ex regarding the $4k you owe her.

LdiJ

If the balance never goes down its because you are not paying enough to cover the interest and fees annually, or only just barely enough. You are not paying enough so that anything goes towards principal.

If you are able to take out a loan elsewhere, so that you can pay it off in a lump sum, you might have a slight chance of negotiating the interest and fees.

Illinois has a "Clean Slate Program" you need to need to look into that could settle the state's portion. You can still negotiate with the other parent to settle their part.

SESmama

Here is the program. It doesn't make the amount owed disappear but makes the amount owed negotiable.

http://www.childsupportillinois.com/general/hfs8253.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">