• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Over paid child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manuelarbizu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

On disability over paid child support child is now 22. Mother was receiving a check because I am on disability and never reported it. Wasn't that child support? Child support refuses to give me any information as to how much was paid over the years.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

First series of questions:

Was there an order for support? When was the order established? When were you declared disabled? When did you miss your first court ordered payment? Did you modify the court order to reflect the disability payments?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

On disability over paid child support child is now 22. Mother was receiving a check because I am on disability and never reported it. Wasn't that child support? Child support refuses to give me any information as to how much was paid over the years.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It is generally up to the payor to file to stop child support when the child reaches adulthood. Why didn't you notice until now?

Were there any arrears? If so, the money might be paying off arrears rather than current support.

Skill7D

Was the disability you were receiving SSDI? The dependent allotment paid by SSA is not a replacement for child support. The allotment goes directly to the dependent, not through the CS agency. Only a judge can decide whether that should count towards CS. That was your responsibility to try to get it credited as CS. You didn't get less monthly because that money was sent to the dependent. So to answer your question, no, you didn't overpay

The dependent allotment paid by SSA is not a replacement for child support. The allotment goes directly to the dependent, not through the CS agency. Only a judge can decide whether that should count towards CS. That was your responsibility to try to get it credited as CS. You didn't get less monthly because that money was sent to the dependent. So to answer your question, no, you didn't overpay
Interesting. I thought other states, including AZ, were trending just the opposite. In California, it is the opposite in that child support obligation is, in fact, credited with the allotment paid by SSA to the dependent, essentially, by operation of law.

Didn't know that about Arizona.

Proserpina

Interesting. I thought other states, including AZ, were trending just the opposite. In California, it is the opposite in that child support obligation is, in fact, credited with the allotment paid by SSA to the dependent, essentially, by operation of law.

Didn't know that about Arizona.

Psst.

YOU are correct. :cool:

Skill is not correct - not for Arizona, at least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">