• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpaid child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timgraysr

Ohio

I was divorced in Ohio and my estranged wife lives out of state. In January of this year we both agreed that my daughter now 17 should live with me. I took physical custody and A motion was filed on January 16th to grant me full custody. A Magistrate did not sign the order until June. All the while they were deducting child support from my check to the tune of $2,400. My estranged wife kept the money. I know that there is such a thing as a “Motion to collect overpaid child support” in Ohio. I do not have the resources to pay for an attorney at this time and wish to file the motion pro se. Is there any way to get a sample of that motion?
Thank you

Tim

LdiJ

Ohio

I was divorced in Ohio and my estranged wife lives out of state. In January of this year we both agreed that my daughter now 17 should live with me. I took physical custody and A motion was filed on January 16th to grant me full custody. A Magistrate did not sign the order until June. All the while they were deducting child support from my check to the tune of $2,400. My estranged wife kept the money. I know that there is such a thing as a “Motion to collect overpaid child support” in Ohio. I do not have the resources to pay for an attorney at this time and wish to file the motion pro se. Is there any way to get a sample of that motion?
Thank you

Tim
Do the court orders state that the child support termination/modification is retroactive to January? If not, you may not get anywhere with that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The time to ask for it is past. You should have been asking for a child support award retroactive to January. Did you do so? If so and it was ordered that mom pay you child support from January then you would have overpaid her from January to June and could file. Please clarify the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">