• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overpaid child support/ HELP PLEASE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loloanne01

What is the name of your state?;) What is the name of your state? Florida....
Hello, My ex has overpaid his child support, by $100.00 a month, he is asking his attorney to get a refund, I stopped receiving child support, a year and a half ago so I called support, they said he has over paid, about 5,000 dollars. they started sending support money again to my girls, I even called my ex- and told him the situation, yet he did nothing about it....
he has not seen his 2 daughters in over 6 years, and is a stranger to the girls, I feel that I should not be ressponible to pay back money to him, that he was aware of the situation and overpaid, I contacted an attorney about putting him in contempt of court for failure to abide by our final divorve order of not getting a life insurance policy for the remainder of his child support obligation, if he dies sooner than my girls turn 18, he has nver is the 6 years, given one birthday or christmas present to either children, not even a card. not they are being forced to see a man who is a stranger to them.
He never made any attempt in 6 years to get legal help to be able to see them, and now he wants to be repaid....It is not fair, please help if you can
Laurie,
Also, my 2 daughters detest visitation, even though I am supervising my self the first 8 visits. Why should they be made to see him when he never cared to make an effort of any kind to see them, now my child support will more than likely be reduced, due to the job that I have, and on top of that will be even lower if I have to pay back money he ever missed... or children he never missed,
help, distressed mommy...

NotSoNew

why did he stop paying support? if the girls arent 18 yet he should still be paying, therefor he wouldnt need a refund.

loloanne01

over paid child support

Hi dynomite, I dont know how to reply to your message, the state stopped the money and started it again, not my ex...
can you tell me how to check my replys or send a reply back to someone please??? :eek:

djohnson

Just click where it says reply.

Am I understanding that your ex has overpaid and now they are using his 'credit' so he doesn't have to pay for awhile until his 'credit' is used up? Why is visitation just becoming a factor?

NotSoNew

well u got the reply down, it worked

so if he overpaid, they are not asking you to physically hand the money back to him right? they are just stopping his payments till his credit is all used up? thats how it works, we overpaid too and they did that.

if they were asking you to physically repay him I could see a problem with that, but not with them stopping the support till the funds are all used up.

loloanne01 said:
Hello, My ex has overpaid his child support, by $100.00 a month, he is asking his attorney to get a refund, I stopped receiving child support, a year and a half ago so I called support, they said he has over paid, about 5,000 dollars. they started sending support money again to my girls, I even called my ex- and told him the situation, yet he did nothing about it....
he has not seen his 2 daughters in over 6 years, and is a stranger to the girls, I feel that I should not be ressponible to pay back money to him, that he was aware of the situation and overpaid, I contacted an attorney about putting him in contempt of court for failure to abide by our final divorve order of not getting a life insurance policy for the remainder of his child support obligation, if he dies sooner than my girls turn 18, he has nver is the 6 years, given one birthday or christmas present to either children, not even a card. not they are being forced to see a man who is a stranger to them.
He never made any attempt in 6 years to get legal help to be able to see them, and now he wants to be repaid....It is not fair, please help if you can
Laurie,
Also, my 2 daughters detest visitation, even though I am supervising my self the first 8 visits. Why should they be made to see him when he never cared to make an effort of any kind to see them, now my child support will more than likely be reduced, due to the job that I have, and on top of that will be even lower if I have to pay back money he ever missed... or children he never missed,
You were okay taking $100 extra each month from this man. Now you're mad because it's caught up to you? And you're mad because he's exercising his rights as a father? Maybe he didn't seek an attorney for visitation because he was OVERPAYING YOU!!!! Is there something else I'm missing here?

Gracie3787

loloanne01 said:
Laurie,
You said that DOR stopped the CS for a while and then started sending it again, correct?
If that's true then most likely the overpayment has already been paid back- the DOR did it by not collecting CS until the overpayment was "used up".
Which means that he will not be able to get any "repayment" or credit, and he certainly cannot get the money from you, so don't worry about that anymore. His attorney is in for a big surprise when he/she learns that the DOR has already taken care of the overpayment problem. ;)
Also, if a CS modification is done, your CS may not go down much, if at all, because Florida uses both parents' incomes to determine CS.

CS and visitation are seperate issues. If he hasn't been in thier lives for the past few years, and now wants to see them, you really should be thankful and as supportive as you can be. Supervised visits are a good thing at the beginning because the kids need to get to know thier Dad.

You say that the girls "detest visitation" my question is why do they "detest" seeing him? As you said, he's a STRANGER to them, and from my experience and knowledge of children- most kids DON"T detest a person who is a stranger to them simply because they SUPPOSEDLY don't know anything about him. I know that you'll deny this, but my guess is that they "detest" seeing their father ONLY because YOU have said or done things over the years to make them hate him, or even them just picking up on YOUR FEELINGS of anger. Kids will naturally side with or "protect" the parent that they are closest to, so for your daughters' sakes you really need to do EVERYTHING you can to help them build a good relationship with thier Dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">