• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment of child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shellie3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

does anyone know how the repayment of an overpayment of child support works. I was informed by my local agency, that I had three options, and that they would fax me the information so that I could then choose. I never received the fax so I called them back wherein they infomred that the Payor (him) had these options and that I did not.

Needless to say, right at the start of the school year, I was not given any options, no notifications and I only received a small percentage of child support. I was informed that he stated he wanted everything paid back to him in full so he was sent the rest of the amount of child support.

I do not mind paying him back any money that I received as an overpayment of child support, its only the right thing to do, but I do mind not being notified and being told more than once that it wouldnt affect the current child support order.
I am confused by all of this and I work for a family law attorney.:confused:

**** I did research this online and found CCSAS R-50-10 which does give the correct process of collecting an overypayment and my options. Am I reading this form wrong?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

does anyone know how the repayment of an overpayment of child support works. I was informed by my local agency, that I had three options, and that they would fax me the information so that I could then choose. I never received the fax so I called them back wherein they infomred that the Payor (him) had these options and that I did not.

Needless to say, right at the start of the school year, I was not given any options, no notifications and I only received a small percentage of child support. I was informed that he stated he wanted everything paid back to him in full so he was sent the rest of the amount of child support.

I do not mind paying him back any money that I received as an overpayment of child support, its only the right thing to do, but I do mind not being notified and being told more than once that it wouldnt affect the current child support order.
I am confused by all of this and I work for a family law attorney.:confused:

**** I did research this online and found CCSAS R-50-10 which does give the correct process of collecting an overypayment and my options. Am I reading this form wrong?
This only reverts things back to the way they should be. You got all of your money - it's just that you got some of it in advance of when it should have been paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">