• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment of Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I pay my child support directly to my ex-wife. The support is deposited from pay directly into her checking account bi-weekly. I received a bonus this month, and because my child support payment are set-up to direct deposit automatically, she received an extra payment.

Will I be able to get the money back? Thanks for your help.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I pay my child support directly to my ex-wife. The support is deposited from pay directly into her checking account bi-weekly. I received a bonus this month, and because my child support payment are set-up to direct deposit automatically, she received an extra payment.

Will I be able to get the money back? Thanks for your help.
Yes. You could go to court and have an entire legal battle over the matter which would simply create anger and bitterness and cost you money.

Or, you could talk to your ex and explain the situation and ask her to return the excess. If she refuses, just have your work skip one 'normal' payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">