• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

owing back support when child is an adult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcc1978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? We live in Florida, but the support order is in Pennsylvania

My husband has a son who is 19 has not lived at home with his mom for over two years and is now living with us. He has graduated from high school and is not attending college. His mother had waited to take my husband to court to get child support till his son was older, so he still owes back support. It is still being garnished from his pay and she gets our whole tax return every year. What can we do? We are also aware that his son has not received any of the support money for years now and she uses it on herself and her other child that is not my husband's.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? We live in Florida, but the support order is in Pennsylvania

My husband has a son who is 19 has not lived at home with his mom for over two years and is now living with us. He has graduated from high school and is not attending college. His mother had waited to take my husband to court to get child support till his son was older, so he still owes back support. It is still being garnished from his pay and she gets our whole tax return every year. What can we do? We are also aware that his son has not received any of the support money for years now and she uses it on herself and her other child that is not my husband's.
Sorry honey but there is nothing you can do. This money was not for your husband's son. This money is to reimburse mom for expenses raising their son.

What you can do, is to help daddly pay his arrears to $0 so that his debt can be completely paid.

LillianX

WE can't do anything. You have absolutely nothing to do with this from a legal standpoint. You most definitely do not know all of the intricacies of this situation. Your husband does. If he would like answers, please have him register here and ask his own questions. As a legal stranger, you have no standing to do anything at all.

CSO286

Re the first bolded: Well, Stepmom, if you are working and part of the tax refund is yours, you can file an injured spouse claim so that you cna receive your share of the refund.

Other than that, Dad can continue ot pay off the arrears, and frankly, I'd make Junior go get a job and support his own happy self.

Re the second Bolded: Did junior have a roof over his head? Food in his belly, clothes on his back? Then Mom was providing for the child. Child support is meant to reimburse the custodual parent for money already spent providing for the the child(ren).

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Re the first bolded: Well, Stepmom, if you are working and part of the tax refund is yours, you can file an injured spouse claim so that you cna receive your share of the refund.

Other than that, Dad can continue ot pay off the arrears, and frankly, I'd make Junior go get a job and support his own happy self.

Re the second Bolded: Did junior have a roof over his head? Food in his belly, clothes on his back? Then Mom was providing for the child. Child support is meant to reimburse the custodual parent for money already spent providing for the the child(ren).
Guess the "search" button is on the fritz again? Hm.... maybe we should get that fixed? ;)

Just Blue

Yeah. Sweet.

Hopefully you do not have children. :(

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Yeah. Sweet.

Hopefully you do not have children. :(
Seriously, so many children, parents/stepparents post here about how the child isn't getting the money... AS. IF. It makes me absolutely furious when one of the new bedwarmers comes up with the thought that if NCP avoided the cs obligation for years and now the child is aged out, that the NCP shouldn't have to pay.... kinda reminds me of people who avoid bill collectors until the SOL has expired thinking that its no longer a debt that they're liable for.... :rolleyes:

mistoffolees

Seriously, so many children, parents/stepparents post here about how the child isn't getting the money... AS. IF. It makes me absolutely furious when one of the new bedwarmers comes up with the thought that if NCP avoided the cs obligation for years and now the child is aged out, that the NCP shouldn't have to pay.... kinda reminds me of people who avoid bill collectors until the SOL has expired thinking that its no longer a debt that they're liable for.... :rolleyes:
Or, more on topic for this forum, if Mom manages to keep Dad from knowing about the child for 5 years that Dad should never get any rights to visit the child. :rolleyes:

Sussann

Back Support

First, you can not control where the money is spent but rest assured that if you send the other parent $50 that she has spent $500 on the child. Second, you state that the mother did not go after your husband for support until later in the childs life. I presume that means that there were months or years that no support was sent to her because she had not pursued it. Just because she was lax in the matter does not mean that the child did not need new shows at age 6, day camp at age 8, school tuition at age 12 and a spring wardrobe at age 14. Those expense accrue even though the non-custodial parent did not pay up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">