• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid CS in cash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GenericMomma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I pay child support to my ex, normally through wage assignment, but I got a new job and haven't set it up. I am a few months behind, so today I gave my ex cash for the arrears I owe. It's not much, less than $100. He gave me a handwritten receipt. Can I take that to the child support office and will they accept it?

justalayman

If you are required to pay through the state they may not accept that as payment of your child support. I have no idea if the other parent recieves the entire amount or if you are required to pay an administrative or penalty of some sort that may not have been paid due to the direct payment.

If the receipt specifially states it is child support for some given period I suspect they will accept it but the only real answer is;

Ask them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">