• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent lied about child support payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joywani

My parents divorced in the state of Texas in 1995. My father was ordered to pay $1100 in child support, per the divorce decree. He was also granted joint custody, 40/60. He never had a problem making the payments because he always had a steady job, which took his child support payments directly out of his check. Sometime around 2000, he quit his job to start his own business, and began making his child support payments directly to my mother. Unfortunately, the business did not do too well and his income took a big hit, but he continued making his child support payments directly to my mother. Although he could not afford to continue to make the full $1100 payments, I personally witnessed (as well as my brothers) my father write a check for whatever payment he could make. My mother told my father she was fine with this arrangement because she had steady income and was making more money than my father.

Sometime around 2007 after my brothers and I had turned 18 and moved out of both houses, my mother sued my father for back child support. She made false statements to the state child support office and told them my father had paid her no child support, starting in 2000. As a result, a $90,000 lien was placed against my father and he was ordered to begin making back payments. My mother was recently awarded $60,000 from my father's 401K and she refuses to give any money to her children. My father is basically paying child support on top of the payments he has already paid because the state was told that he made no payments. Am I entitled to some of this lump sump payment? And if so, can I sue my mother for a portion of that money?

My father is very devoted and dedicated to his children, which created this issue. He chose not to go to court to have his payments reduced because he believed it would be better to save the money for a lawyer, and instead spend it on his children. Can someone please give me my legal options for getting some of this money, since it is meant for the children and my mother refuses to give any to her children.

Silverplum

My parents divorced in the state of Texas in 1995. My father was ordered to pay $1100 in child support, per the divorce decree. He was also granted joint custody, 40/60. He never had a problem making the payments because he always had a steady job, which took his child support payments directly out of his check. Sometime around 2000, he quit his job to start his own business, and began making his child support payments directly to my mother. Unfortunately, the business did not do too well and his income took a big hit, but he continued making his child support payments directly to my mother. Although he could not afford to continue to make the full $1100 payments, I personally witnessed (as well as my brothers) my father write a check for whatever payment he could make. My mother told my father she was fine with this arrangement because she had steady income and was making more money than my father.

Sometime around 2007 after my brothers and I had turned 18 and moved out of both houses, my mother sued my father for back child support. She made false statements to the state child support office and told them my father had paid her no child support, starting in 2000. As a result, a $90,000 lien was placed against my father and he was ordered to begin making back payments. My mother was recently awarded $60,000 from my father's 401K and she refuses to give any money to her children. My father is basically paying child support on top of the payments he has already paid because the state was told that he made no payments. Am I entitled to some of this lump sump payment? And if so, can I sue my mother for a portion of that money?

My father is very devoted and dedicated to his children, which created this issue. He chose not to go to court to have his payments reduced because he believed it would be better to save the money for a lawyer, and instead spend it on his children. Can someone please give me my legal options for getting some of this money, since it is meant for the children and my mother refuses to give any to her children.
You aren't entitled to a cent of it. You're wrong about the intent for child support.

Just Blue

Wow. What a swell child you are. So it is "okay" if Mother screws dad as long as you get a "cut"? Sweet.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

So, this really has NOTHING to do with whether or not your Dad got shafted. It's all about your greed. Disgusting. IMO, of course. :cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the intent of child support? I had always assumed it was to support the children.
Child support is a reimbursement to the custodial parent for what is spent on the kids. It is NOT a paycheck for the children. The child is never entitled to a portion of the CS to do with as they please. Were you fed? Clothed? Housed? Your Dad is now paying Mom back for what he was supposed to contribute but didn't. It's not your money. Never was, and never will be.

Isis1

You aren't entitled to a cent of it. You're wrong about the intent for child support.
Wow!!

Ditto what SP said.

Child support is to reimburse the custodial parent for the cost of raising the child. Not pocket change for the child. If the parent WANTS to give the money to the child, they can.

And I feel no sympathy for your dad. He was court ordered to pay an amount. He followed the law. He agreed to the amount. If he had paid mom directly, he could have provided proof. Instead, he agreed that he owed the amount. You want money? Go get a job.

joywani

I suppose no one sees how my mother was the greedy one in this situation. My father and I have a very close relationship without the money. No one seems to read the part where I mention that my father continued to make payments to the best of his ability, yet my mother sued him and stated that he didn't pay her anything.

I am asking for legal advice, not your personal morale ramblings and assumptions. The only information you have is what I have given. What you do not realize is that my mother made my brothers share a bedroom and cook dinner for themselves while she went out and purchased a new Coach purse every time she received payments from my father.

Silverplum

I suppose no one sees how my mother was the greedy one in this situation. My father and I have a very close relationship without the money. No one seems to read the part where I mention that my father continued to make payments to the best of his ability, yet my mother sued him and stated that he didn't pay her anything.

I am asking for legal advice, not your personal morale ramblings and assumptions. The only information you have is what I have given. What you do not realize is that my mother made my brothers share a bedroom and cook dinner for themselves while she went out and purchased a new Coach purse every time she received payments from my father.
It doesn't matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've said it before and I'll say it again. When I finally get the child support money that's due to ME, I plan to buy an airplane and a couple of shiny new cars!

Proserpina

Doesn't matter.

Mom was perfectly entitled to buy a new Coach purse with every single payment - while you and your poor brother had to share a bedroom (child abuse!) and cook dinner (slavery!).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yet he did not pay the court-ordered amount. You apparently don't understand that a court order is not a suggestion. Perhaps you should look up "order" in a dictionary. That might help you understand.

As she was completely entitled to. She had already paid for what needed paying for - what your Dad sent was reimbursement. As for making your brothers cook? OMG! I make my two cook. It's an important life skill. My oldest has his own place now, and he cooks for himself, his roommate and often for all of their friends. And ya know what? The girls (and their parents) LOVE him for it.

Just Blue

IF Dad paid his support them he would have proof of said support. Perhaps he wrote a check but it bounced and Mother chose not to share that info with her CHILDREN. Whatever. Any money she receives is HERS. She already paid to support the children. She is being paid Dads portion.
My father is basically paying child support on top of the payments he has already paid because the state was told that he made no payments. Am I entitled to some of this lump sump payment? And if so, can I sue my mother for a portion of that money?
And if you truly think that your devoted father is getting the shaft...Why are you asking about your "cut"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">