• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Liability for an Adult Child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cnic

What is the name of your state? California

I am told that there may be court cases that say if parents financially support a college student entirely that, even though the child is no longer a minor, the parents may still be held liable for damages or injuries caused by that child and that the parents' assets may be taken to satisfy a judgement against the child. Is this true in California? I thought that once a child reaches 18 the parents are off the financial hook. Thanks in advance

S

seniorjudge

Q: I am told that there may be court cases that say if parents financially support a college student entirely that, even though the child is no longer a minor, the parents may still be held liable for damages or injuries caused by that child and that the parents' assets may be taken to satisfy a judgement against the child.

A: Who told you that and did they give you statutes or case law or any other legal authority to back it up?

Q: I thought that once a child reaches 18 the parents are off the financial hook.

A: What does this have to do with liability for for damages or injuries caused by that child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">