• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canadianintheus

What is the name of your state? WA

Here I am in the U.S. but I have a child support order from Ontario Canada. My ex currently owes me over 35,000.00 in child support and continues to work under the table to avoid garnishment. I have since married and my husband loves my children and wants to adopt them. Oh and for all you people who think that it is a bad idea you don't know what you're talking about! My ex lost visitation because he refused to do a hair follicle test to determine if he had quit using drugs. Anyone who chooses to not see their children because they can't stay clean to submit to a drug test shouldn't have access to children! So, my question is can my husband adopt my kids if my ex won't give up parental rights? Isn't there some way of removing his rights because he hasn't been paying his support? And in what jursitiction does this all fall? Do I have to take in action in Canada or can it be done here in the U.S. since this is where the children reside? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neal1421

canadianintheus said:

Here I am in the U.S. but I have a child support order from Ontario Canada. My ex currently owes me over 35,000.00 in child support and continues to work under the table to avoid garnishment. I have since married and my husband loves my children and wants to adopt them. Oh and for all you people who think that it is a bad idea you don't know what you're talking about! My ex lost visitation because he refused to do a hair follicle test to determine if he had quit using drugs. Anyone who chooses to not see their children because they can't stay clean to submit to a drug test shouldn't have access to children! So, my question is can my husband adopt my kids if my ex won't give up parental rights? Isn't there some way of removing his rights because he hasn't been paying his support? And in what jursitiction does this all fall? Do I have to take in action in Canada or can it be done here in the U.S. since this is where the children reside? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
No you cannot have his rights terminated because he is not paying support. That is not a grounds for termination of rights in WA.

Maybe you should tell him that you will forgive the money owed if he does give up his rights so that your husband can adopt.

Neal1421

canadianintheus said:
Is there anyway I can put legal notices in the paper where he lives to make him attend a hearing or recind his rights?
Why not have him served by a process server with the paper work? I seriously doubt that the newspaper notice will suffice.

Silverplum

canadianintheus said:
Is there anyway I can put legal notices in the paper where he lives to make him attend a hearing or recind his rights?
US LAW ONLY.

How on earth would we know what Canada requires for service??

You're going to have to deal with a Canadian lawyer, for starters.

canadianintheus

Silverplum said:
US LAW ONLY.

How on earth would we know what Canada requires for service??

You're going to have to deal with a Canadian lawyer, for starters.

Well thats why I asked if I could file in the U.S.!!! Obviously I don't expect any american's to know canadian law.

Neal1421

canadianintheus said:
Well thats why I asked if I could file in the U.S.!!! Obviously I don't expect any american's to know canadian law.
How long have you been here? Is your ex still in Canada?

canadianintheus

Neal1421 said:
Why not have him served by a process server with the paper work? I seriously doubt that the newspaper notice will suffice.
Wish it were that simple :( I would've done it a long time ago. He stays under the radar working jobs that pay him off the books and he doesn't file tax returns so it makes him difficult to find. Although if I could afford it I would definately hire a P.I.

canadianintheus

Neal1421 said:
Then there is nothing anyone here can do.

Find a lawyer in Canada.
:( I'm SOOOO confused! I just spoke with a lawyer in Canada who told me that I needed to contact a lawyer in WA!! She said that proceedings are based on the children's residence.

Neal1421

canadianintheus said:
:( I'm SOOOO confused! I just spoke with a lawyer in Canada who told me that I needed to contact a lawyer in WA!! She said that proceedings are based on the children's residence.
I don't know how it works in Canada, but here is there is an existing order and one party still lives in the jurisdiction of the order, then that is where it needs to be handled.

canadianintheus

Neal1421 said:
I don't know how it works in Canada, but here is there is an existing order and one party still lives in the jurisdiction of the order, then that is where it needs to be handled.
Ok. I guess I will try another lawyer. Thanks for your help.

genivieve

canadianintheus said:

Here I am in the U.S. but I have a child support order from Ontario Canada. My ex currently owes me over 35,000.00 in child support
Once George is gone the exchange rate will go back up, so $35,000 in Canadian means about $18.00 in American. LOL :p :p :p

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">