• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental rights terminated but still paying support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dutchman2120

Georgia.. This is my situation. My ex wife came to me 2 years ago and asked if I would consent to a step parent adoption when her and her bf got married. I said I would sign off on my parental rights if I wasnt obligated to pay child support. They were married this past october. She came asking me to sign off so they could start the adoption process. So I kept my end of the deal and signed off on my rights. She did her part and signed off on the support. I havent had anything deducted for 3 weeks. Today I got a paper in the mail stating she had applied for support enforcement to collect child support! My rights have been taken and now I have to pay support again? Can this be done? And how do I get parental rights reinstated?

CALIF-LAWPRO25

dutchman2120 said:
Georgia.. This is my situation. My ex wife came to me 2 years ago and asked if I would consent to a step parent adoption when her and her bf got married. I said I would sign off on my parental rights if I wasnt obligated to pay child support. They were married this past october. She came asking me to sign off so they could start the adoption process. So I kept my end of the deal and signed off on my rights. She did her part and signed off on the support. I havent had anything deducted for 3 weeks. Today I got a paper in the mail stating she had applied for support enforcement to collect child support! My rights have been taken and now I have to pay support again? Can this be done? And how do I get parental rights reinstated?

My response:

Until the adoption process is complete, you're still on the hook for support.

IAAL

CALIF-LAWPRO25

dutchman2120 said:
if I am paying child support.. dont I have certain rights?

My response:

Sure. You have the right to pay.

You also have the right to follow your current court orders for visitation until the adoption is final. That way, you can, for the last time, see, feel and touch, what you're giving up.

IAAL

fairisfair

CALIF-LAWPRO25 said:
My response:

Sure. You have the right to pay.

You also have the right to follow your current court orders for visitation until the adoption is final. That way, you can, for the last time, see, feel and touch, what you're giving up.

IAAL
Well Said!!

dutchman2120

our court order never stated dates and time of visitation..it stated it was left up to her and as to when where and how. I havent seen my kids in 2 years because she refuses to send them down. They are in maine and I am georgia.

fairisfair

dutchman2120 said:
our court order never stated dates and time of visitation..it stated it was left up to her and as to when where and how. I havent seen my kids in 2 years because she refuses to send them down. They are in maine and I am georgia.
yeah, and so you kindly offered to sell, oh I mean give them up, for child support, what was your payment record like before you decided this??? By the way, you said she approached you with this agreement 2 years ago, why in the heck would you have expected her to "send them down"

Last edited:

CALIF-LAWPRO25

dutchman2120 said:

My response:

Well, I can certainly understand your problem. The airlines don't fly out of Dufus States into the Northern States. Yeah, I know, that's a big problem.

IAAL

CALIF-LAWPRO25

dutchman2120 said:
I have paid support of 100 a week for 5 years. I have only seen them once. She is remarried as well.

My response:

And, who's fault is that? Oh, that's right, there are no flights out of the Dufus State of Georgia. So, go one last time in your car, see them, and then be a man to explain to your kids why Daddy will never be seeing them again.

Close your mouth. Being slack-jawed is not a good-looking trait.

IAAL

dutchman2120

ok for the record.. I work 6 days a week..12 hour shifts. I have 3 children here and a wife. The issue isnt paying child support. It was the agreement her and I had. The idea was brought to me 5 years ago by her. I have asked her for to send them down every year. I have even offered to pay for the tickets and let her keep the support during the time they were here.

CALIF-LAWPRO25

dutchman2120 said:
ok for the record.. I work 6 days a week..12 hour shifts. I have 3 children here and a wife. The issue isnt paying child support. It was the agreement her and I had. The idea was brought to me 5 years ago by her. I have asked her for to send them down every year. I have even offered to pay for the tickets and let her keep the support during the time they were here.

My response:

You're just not getting it. Perhaps you need to be a Georgia resident. You're just too stupid to understand anything that requires "conceptual or logical" thinking.

Oh, and to answer your question, you have no other "rights" except to remain in your trailer.

IAAL

fairisfair

dutchman2120 said:
Oh, the issue isn't child support:

" I said I would sign off on my parental rights if I wasnt obligated to pay child support."

can you please refresh my memory as to who wrote this???????? I am also assuming that you acquired these new children and wife, AFTER discovering that you never see and can't care for the ones you already had.

Now it is 5 years ago, before it was two years********whatever

dutchman2120

I am just trying to do the right thing by my kids. They are 15 and 14. They wanted the adoption. I am not on bad terms with either of them. I talk to them on a regular basis. I cant just go up and see them. I have obligations here so any work lost directly effects this family here. Doesnt it make sense they come down for summer break? I came in here for honest advice and once again I find dad bashing women. I have paid my support on time for years. And have done all I can to see them. What can I do if their mother refuses to send them.

CALIF-LAWPRO25

dutchman2120 said:
I am just trying to do the right thing by my kids. They are 15 and 14. They wanted the adoption. I am not on bad terms with either of them. I talk to them on a regular basis. I cant just go up and see them. I have obligations here so any work lost directly effects this family here. Doesnt it make sense they come down for summer break? I came in here for honest advice and once again I find dad bashing women. I have paid my support on time for years. And have done all I can to see them. What can I do if their mother refuses to send them.

My response:

Suffice it to say, I'm done with your thread. Like I said, you have no ability to conceptualize or use logic. Therefore, your thread is of no use to anyone.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">