• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental rights terminated due to failure to pay child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heronlymom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? He lives in Alabama but the divorce and child support was filed in Georgia, the pr was terminated in North Carolina, and the Mom lives in North Carolina.

Can your parental rights be terminated in North Carolina for being behind in child support? I know a guy who it happened too but he has a letter from Alabama saying he did not have to pay it. He never went to court or signed anything.

rmet4nzkx

heronlymom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? He lives in Alabama but the divorce and child support was filed in Georgia, the pr was terminated in North Carolina, and the Mom lives in North Carolina.

Can your parental rights be terminated in North Carolina for being behind in child support? I know a guy who it happened too but he has a letter from Alabama saying he did not have to pay it. He never went to court or signed anything.
Normally TPR to avoid CS does not happen, although future CS but not arrears c/would be terminated following TPR as in the case of adoption.

HOWEVER based only on the information you are providing, there could be a valid reason, if the parent took the child in violation of the agreement, without cause, from the original jurisdiction for the purpose to impead visitation and a court could rule to TPR and or suspend Child Support. This could arise out of parnetal abduction and is a complicated matter but that is one way this could happen that is not to say that is what happened and not having the actual text of the orders no one can really say more at this point.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't think there's enough information to provide any sort of real answer/opinion.

Grace_Adler

It depends. If mother has lived in NC for 6 months or more, she can file for a TPR here based on no support for 12 months preceding her filing the TPR.

I don't understand why he got a letter saying he doesn't have to pay. What does it say?

I suppose he could try to fight it if he has a letter stating that. Then again, if the child support order was filed in GA then why would AL say he doesn't have to pay? Evidently if there was a court order in GA then he was supposed to be paying it regardless of what AL said, unless jurisdiction was turned over to them.

He still owes arrears on child support unless the mother forgives them or owed to the state for welfare in which case they will always be owed. However, the day the TPR was final, means that he should not be responsible for paying support since that day, only the arrears before that point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">