• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Rights Terminated--still owe child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riverjonas

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I had my ex husband's parental rights to my daughter terminated 10 years ago because he never paid child support, never saw my daughter, and also because he was violent with her and me. He now lives in Mississippi and I live in Louisiana. The court order for parental termination was done in North Carolina.
My current husband has never adopted her.
She is about to go to college and I can't afford to send her. Can I take my ex husband back to court and sue him for back child support? Or can I sue him for her college expenses?
Does he still owe child support even though his parental rights were terminated? Is there a certain period of time after which child support cannot be recovered?

milspecgirl

i think everyone here is going to stay away from this
he wasnt good enough to be dad BUT hes good enough to be a check
surely this post is a joke

Isis1

:(

if his rights were terminated, that means he is no longer dad. in a legal sense. therefore he is no longer responsible for her legally. what part of that did you NOT understand when you signed to have his rights terminated??:mad:

AHA

he never paid child support, never saw my daughter, and also because he was violent with her and me.
Sorry, but it makes one wonder when a mother lists the violence towards her child as the LAST (after the money) reason why daddy didn't deserve to be a father.

There are student loans college students can apply for to pay for college. Or get a loan yourself and pay for it.

nextwife

When parental rights are TERMINATED the terminee is no longer a parent. That's the whole point. My daughter's bioparents rights were terminated, they therefore are NOT responsible in any way for her. Former parents are not a money well one dips into every few years when they decide they there is a money need..

Perky

Actually, I believe OP could have tried to collect the arrearages that he owed before TPR. However, the applicable statute of limitations in both North Carolina and Louisiana is 10 years, so she is SOL.

nextwife

Thank you all for your objective and nonjudgemental advice.
It was not judgmental. We merely stated the FACT that, FOLLOWING the termination of parental rights, the party is NO LONGER the parent, so has no parental rights nor duties. WE cannot return to a FORMER parent to establish new obligations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">