• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

passport status (child support)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BillBraske

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

So I've been out of work for the past 5 months and have since fallen behind on my child support.

I have a job opportunity in Mexico, however, I owe more than $2500. And according to the State Dept. your passport can be suspended if that happens.

Will I have to come clean with my entire balance to even get out of the country or how exactly does that work? Do they automatically alert the State Dept or is there a chance it hasn't gotten to them yet?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

So I've been out of work for the past 5 months and have since fallen behind on my child support.

I have a job opportunity in Mexico, however, I owe more than $2500. And according to the State Dept. your passport can be suspended if that happens.

Will I have to come clean with my entire balance to even get out of the country or how exactly does that work? Do they automatically alert the State Dept or is there a chance it hasn't gotten to them yet?
They have to notify you before they can seize your passport. Even if they do, you may be able to reach an agreement with them to pay some portion now and keep the passport - particularly if it is going to allow you to get a job.

BillBraske

Thanks for the response.

If I book a ticket, go to the airport and check in, is there a possibility that I get denied, assuming I haven't heard from them?

LillianX

Thanks for the response.

If I book a ticket, go to the airport and check in, is there a possibility that I get denied, assuming I haven't heard from them?
If you already have a passport, you have pretty much no chance of being denied. Having a revoked passport doesn't prevent travel, unless law enforcement comes and physically takes your passport away.

CSO286

They have to notify you before they can seize your passport. Even if they do, you may be able to reach an agreement with them to pay some portion now and keep the passport - particularly if it is going to allow you to get a job.
You would have received a letter if your passport were being suspended.

While I am uncertain of OP's state's procedure, notification that various enforcment remedies is often included in the support order. Something along the lines of "If JOHN DOE fails to pay support as ordered, the county can and will use any and all of the following enoforcement remedies to encourgae compliance with this order: Credit bureau reporting, driver's, recreational, and occupational license suspensions, bank levies passport denial, tax reund interceptions, etc...."

Such a statement is often considered "notification", and furhter notice is not always required (except in cases of certain enf. actions).

And OP, the state dept gets automatically notified. CSED and State Dett computers talk to each other, without a case worker having to do anything. Most of the time these administrative actions happen monthly, once a case meets the selections criteria and balance threshold.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">