• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shipmate56

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State. It has been since 2000 that I was suppose to be collecting child support and have collected very little over the years. I know the total amount owed to me is around 20,000.00 but now my sons are 22 and 23 years of age. I do not receive any paperwork from child support services anymore since the last son turned 21.
When I tried to log on to my child support account recently it said it has been closed and I will need to contact dcs to reopen. I was not aware that the garnishment attached in 2000 would expire and that everything would be dropped.
I thought that once garnishment was assigned on him it would follow him untill the amount owed was paid in full. I was reading the laws on support enforcement and it is not spelled out on how long a time frame. He was not able to get a driver lic or a forklift lic for a while but now has a driver lic.

So did everything just get excused and he is not subject to any kind of penelty any more? He never showed up to court for anything and was found in contemp of court and warrents went out on him and yet he lives free and clear not more than twenty miles from me. He doe not work at a job but is filing for soc security because he cant work now. Can I somehow at least collect from that source of income if possible?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State. It has been since 2000 that I was suppose to be collecting child support and have collected very little over the years. I know the total amount owed to me is around 20,000.00 but now my sons are 22 and 23 years of age. I do not receive any paperwork from child support services anymore since the last son turned 21.
When I tried to log on to my child support account recently it said it has been closed and I will need to contact dcs to reopen. I was not aware that the garnishment attached in 2000 would expire and that everything would be dropped.
I thought that once garnishment was assigned on him it would follow him untill the amount owed was paid in full. I was reading the laws on support enforcement and it is not spelled out on how long a time frame. He was not able to get a driver lic or a forklift lic for a while but now has a driver lic.

So did everything just get excused and he is not subject to any kind of penelty any more? He never showed up to court for anything and was found in contemp of court and warrents went out on him and yet he lives free and clear not more than twenty miles from me. He doe not work at a job but is filing for soc security because he cant work now. Can I somehow at least collect from that source of income if possible?

His arrears have not been wiped.

If he gets SSDI, this can be garnished for back child support.

If he only qualifies for SSI though, this cannot be touched.

CSO286

And if al the arrears were owed to you and CSED had no conatct with you for more than three years, they can close the case.

You can certainly reopen it, or pursue the collection on your own or with an attorney, but it likely what happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">