• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Age/Time Limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fakedad

What is the name of your state? NY

What is the age/time limit to disestablish paternity? Is this limit from the time you sign birth certificate or when you start paying child support (court ordered)? What if you have "information" you didn't have before and so that is why paternity is being questioned?

Thank you in advanced for the replies.

BL

fakedad said:
What is the name of your state? NY

What is the age/time limit to disestablish paternity? Is this limit from the time you sign birth certificate or when you start paying child support (court ordered)? What if you have "information" you didn't have before and so that is why paternity is being questioned?

Thank you in advanced for the replies.
You don't give us much to go on here ?

What sort of information do you now have ?

Were you married at the time of birth of the Child(ren) ?

See even IF you were found by DNA not to be bio Dad , you could still be responsible for support under certain circumstances .

fakedad

Hey Blonde...sorry about the missing information.

I was never married to the mother, we were neither a couple before/during/after the birth of the child. I was young (19), she told she was pregnant, she gave birth and I signed the BC. November 2004 she took me to court for child support but I was never asked if I wanted a paternity test...this is something that I now know I could have requested. I now found out that she had cheated on me with numerous guys and I know question paternity. The child in question is 4yrs old.

MrsK

Did she take you to court through CSE?

I'd try to get a consult with an atty to ask about your state's laws on disestablishing paternity.

BTW- you probably will not get any money back that you have paid if you are not the father. Just so you know...

fakedad

MrsK...yeah she took me to court through CSE. I understand about not getting the money back - that is fine with me. I was thinking of contacting a lawyer but wanted to come here first to see if I even have a case before spending the money.

Thanx for the reply!

MrsK

fakedad said:
MrsK...yeah she took me to court through CSE. I understand about not getting the money back - that is fine with me. I was thinking of contacting a lawyer but wanted to come here first to see if I even have a case before spending the money.

Thanx for the reply!
How recently did you get information that the child may not be yours?

fakedad

Around Dec/Jan. I'm getting a paternity test (privately) done in a few weeks but wanted to know what I can do if the outcome is that I am not the father.

MrsK

fakedad said:
Around Dec/Jan. I'm getting a paternity test (privately) done in a few weeks but wanted to know what I can do if the outcome is that I am not the father.
Just remember that the test will not hold up in court. If the child is not yours, the court will want to do one.

BelizeBreeze

fakedad said:
based on the test you can petition the court for a disestablishment of paternity and a court ordered test.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">