• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity, back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsCalifornia

What is the name of your state? California

My husband just found out he may be the father of a 3 year old child.
The mother does not want anything from him, but i'm curious if he does nothing and later she gets a court ordered paternity test, will he have to pay back child support?

What if he does take a paternity test now**************..he just found out that a child even existed....if he is the fater can he be forced to pay back child supprt for a child he never knew existed**************he really had no idea.

BelizeBreeze

rsCalifornia said:
What is the name of your state? California

My husband just found out he may be the father of a 3 year old child.
The mother does not want anything from him, but i'm curious if he does nothing and later she gets a court ordered paternity test, will he have to pay back child support?
no, but he will be liable for RETROACTIVE child support.
What if he does take a paternity test now**************..he just found out that a child even existed....if he is the fater can he be forced to pay back child supprt for a child he never knew existed**************he really had no idea.
see above.

nextwife

rsCalifornia said:
Retroactive CS - he will have to pay support for a child from DOB, even though he never knew it existed?

Too bad he can't get retroactive visitation, or retroactive baby bonding, huh?

BelizeBreeze

rsCalifornia said:
Retroactive CS - he will have to pay support for a child from DOB, even though he never knew it existed?
Not necessarily.

Most states permit collecting child support back to the date when the parent first applied for child support, not just from the date your application is approved. California permits collection of child support for as much as 3 years before the application was filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">