• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paternity and child visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaufmanc

What is the name of your state? Dupo, Illinois

My 19 year old son got his 17 year old girlfriend pregnant. She had the baby 1-13-06. My son is now 20 and she will be 18 in June. She lives with her mom and dad. Now they have told my son to disapear from the girlfriend and babies life (they meaning the other grandparents). They said if he contacted any of them they would have him put in jail for underage pregnancy. What are my sons options at this time? We are devistated!!!! Not sure what direction to turn. He said he loves both of them with all of his heart but does not want to be put in jail. Help please!What is the name of your state? Illinois

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
kaufmanc said:
What is the name of your state? Dupo, Illinois

My 19 year old son got his 17 year old girlfriend pregnant. She had the baby 1-13-06. My son is now 20 and she will be 18 in June. She lives with her mom and dad. Now they have told my son to disapear from the girlfriend and babies life (they meaning the other grandparents). They said if he contacted any of them they would have him put in jail for underage pregnancy. What are my sons options at this time? We are devistated!!!! Not sure what direction to turn. He said he loves both of them with all of his heart but does not want to be put in jail. Help please!What is the name of your state? Illinois
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt.+11&ActID=1876&ChapAct=720 ILCS 5/&ChapterID=53&ChapterName=CRIMINAL+OFFENSES&SectionID=60625&SeqStart=13100000&SeqEnd=16400000&ActName=Criminal+Code+of+1961.

Read the above -- it is the illinois statutes. How old was the girl when she got pregnant? 16? And he was 18?

kaufmanc

The girl was 17 June 8 is her birthday boy was 19 birthday nov 2. her due date was feb 13, she had the baby 1 month premature.

C

CALIF-PRO36

kaufmanc said:
The girl was 17 June 8 is her birthday boy was 19 birthday nov 2. her due date was feb 13, she had the baby 1 month premature.

My response:

Since the birth of the child, how much money has he sent the mother for the child?

IAAL

kaufmanc

They have been dating he has not given her any money but he does buy the baby diapers. Just out of the blue they don't want to see him. I think the grandparents think that since she is turning 18 they are afraid kevin will take the girlfriend away from her parents. so they made jessica sever ties with kevin on 5-23-06

C

CALIF-PRO36

kaufmanc said:
They have been dating he has not given her any money but he does buy the baby diapers. Just out of the blue they don't want to see him. I think the grandparents think that since she is turning 18 they are afraid kevin will take the girlfriend away from her parents. so they made jessica sever ties with kevin on 5-23-06
My response:

Okay, that's nice. Now, while that's nice, diapers don't feed a child. So, does Kevin have a job, and how much does he make?

IAAL

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And to continue this line of questioning why hasn't he filed to pay child support legally? And for legal custody/visitation. Custody doesn't mean residential necessarily but rather legal rights to see the child. But start with a paternity test. He has responsibilities here that can enforce which will give him legal rights that grandma and grandpa can't dictate.

rmet4nzkx

Given the dates, the mother was 16 when the child was conceived. The reason we are asking the questions is to determine whether or not underage sex could be charged, and by statute, the grandparents could pursue charges against your son on behalf of their minor daughter. You haven't answered the other questions adequately.
Did your son sign an acknowledgement of paternity at the hospital when the child was born? THis is important as this fact may affect how and when other motions are made and is an admission that they had underage sex if he believes he is the putative father, even if he is not proved to be the biological father.
Was paternity confirmed by DNA?
Has your son filed to establish paternity, child support, custody and visiatiton?
Since he hasn't made any effort to support the child beyond diapers, why on earth would you expect them to allow your son to visit their minor daughter whom he has sexually assulted?
Until there is a custody/visitaiton order from the court, there is no legal obligation for either the grandparents or their minor child to allow visitaiton with the baby.
I strongly suggest your son retain an attorney and file to establish paternity, custody, child support and visittiton. Understand that does not prevent the grandparents or the State from bringing criminal charges against your son. For that reason he needs an attorney to determine what course to take and when.
Since she will be 18 in a few weeks he may want to wait until then or close to then to file while she is in a known loctiton in order to be served. There is a statute of limitations to consider and whether or not the DA would prosecute may depend on many factors, that is why your son needs a local attorney to represent him.

T

topshelf

rmet4nzkx said:
Since he hasn't made any effort to support the child beyond diapers, why on earth would you expect them to allow your son to visit their minor daughter whom he has sexually assulted?
A question... Say daddy even though paternity has not yet even been established has been forking over some money every week. Once the court proceedings go through, would he get credit for the money he handed over?

LdiJ

topshelf said:
A question... Say daddy even though paternity has not yet even been established has been forking over some money every week. Once the court proceedings go through, would he get credit for the money he handed over?
Most likely no....most likely it would be considered a gift.

T

topshelf

LdiJ said:
Most likely no....most likely it would be considered a gift.
case in point.. why throw pennies in a wishing well? Until paternity is established, there should be NO VISITATION or SUPPORT.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">