• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity DNA test negative- What if?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unspecified

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have a baby with my boyfriend who has 2 kids from a previous marriage, ages 6 and 4. He has always had doubts if they are his. I am thinking about ordering an at-home DNA test kit to put any doubts to rest. I think my daughter deserves to know if she has 2 half siblings and I also think that they have a right to know who their biological father is. I know these test kits do not hold up in court. The results will determine if he will persue additional testing through the courts. My questions are as follows: if either of them or both are not his, does he not have to continue child support?, and does he get any kind of refund for the support he has paid?

Neal1421

unspecified said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have a baby with my boyfriend who has 2 kids from a previous marriage, ages 6 and 4. He has always had doubts if they are his. I am thinking about ordering an at-home DNA test kit to put any doubts to rest. I think my daughter deserves to know if she has 2 half siblings and I also think that they have a right to know who their biological father is. I know these test kits do not hold up in court. The results will determine if he will persue additional testing through the courts. My questions are as follows: if either of them or both are not his, does he not have to continue child support?, and does he get any kind of refund for the support he has paid?
No, he doesn't get a refund for the support that he has paid. If the kid(s) are not his, he will have to disestablish paternity, then he may be able to stop payments.

rmet4nzkx

If either of the tests prove he s not the father then he would have to file to disestablish paternity, which is not a guarentee that the judge will order a reduction in child support payments and some attention will be made to the state of his relationship with the children and his other obligations, such as your joint child. Do you have any orders in place? Have you established paternity with DNA? Remember it is the best interest of all the children, not just yours.

I suggest doing a search based on the words disestablishment paternity Michigan there is a lot on the net for your state. Here is one to get started.

Dads of Michigan :: View topic - Paternity Disestablishment
Providing services to disestablish paternity is not required under title IV-D of the Act or implementing regulations. However, federal IV-D funding would be ...
http://www.dadsofmichigan.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=857&sid=7db186b239594bc2766f62ae98704ac5

unspecified

rmet4nzkx said:
If either of the tests prove he s not the father then he would have to file to disestablish paternity, which is not a guarentee that the judge will order a reduction in child support payments and some attention will be made to the state of his relationship with the children and his other obligations, such as your joint child. Do you have any orders in place? Have you established paternity with DNA? Remember it is the best interest of all the children, not just yours.

I suggest doing a search based on the words disestablishment paternity Michigan there is a lot on the net for your state. Here is one to get started.

Dads of Michigan :: View topic - Paternity Disestablishment
Providing services to disestablish paternity is not required under title IV-D of the Act or implementing regulations. However, federal IV-D funding would be ...
http://www.dadsofmichigan.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=857&sid=7db186b239594bc2766f62ae98704ac5
Thank you for the link. I will do some further research. As for your questions, paternity has not been established through DNA for our daughter. However, he is named as the father on the birth cerificate. There are no orders in place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">