• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kj970

California.
I recently received a notice from a County in Northern California with a woman there claiming I am the father to her son. I do not recognize this woman’s name, and do not remember her, or the situation she describes to the people at the county. In fact I have traced the timeline and I was living in Los Angeles at the time. The boy is apparently around 15 years old, she claims I met her in 1989 at a bar in San Jose, CA. and that I was working as a waiter in a Carrows restaurant. I have never worked in a restaurant, and don't remember ever sleeping with a girl I picked up in a bar. I know it was 15 years ago, but I'm pretty sure I remember every woman I've slept with.

The people at the county also claim to have a copy of a California drivers license that is supposedly mine. I have never had a California license, I've always had a license from another state. I did live in California for temporary work around the time described, but I always kept my residency in my home state, never changed anything to California. It seems strange to me that if I am the father and somehow I've completely forgotten I slept with this woman, why have I never heard anything about this until 15 years later?
My question for everyone is, is a DNA test the best way to handle this? I have talked to a couple attorneys and some say yes, some say maybe not. The people in California want me to take it, and have scheduled one for me here in my home state, next week.

Any help or advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

VeronicaGia

kj970 said:
California.
I recently received a notice from a County in Northern California with a woman there claiming I am the father to her son. I do not recognize this woman’s name, and do not remember her, or the situation she describes to the people at the county. In fact I have traced the timeline and I was living in Los Angeles at the time. The boy is apparently around 15 years old, she claims I met her in 1989 at a bar in San Jose, CA. and that I was working as a waiter in a Carrows restaurant. I have never worked in a restaurant, and don't remember ever sleeping with a girl I picked up in a bar. I know it was 15 years ago, but I'm pretty sure I remember every woman I've slept with.

The people at the county also claim to have a copy of a California drivers license that is supposedly mine. I have never had a California license, I've always had a license from another state. I did live in California for temporary work around the time described, but I always kept my residency in my home state, never changed anything to California. It seems strange to me that if I am the father and somehow I've completely forgotten I slept with this woman, why have I never heard anything about this until 15 years later?
My question for everyone is, is a DNA test the best way to handle this? I have talked to a couple attorneys and some say yes, some say maybe not. The people in California want me to take it, and have scheduled one for me here in my home state, next week.

Any help or advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
A DNA test will either completely exclude you from being the father or make it definite that you are the father. Do the court ordered DNA test and do it fast! Get this taken care of.

Unfortunately in your situation OP, YOU are the one who has to prove you're not. If you're not, then you have nothing to worry about. If you blow it off, you'll most likely be found in contempt and considered the biodad.

You might want to have handy as much information as possible to back up your timeline.

You might also look into checking/asking with the CS agency about protecting your privacy. It's bad enough CS agencies are so willingly to provide the other party with your SS# and address, etc BEFORE you're even proven the biodad (I suppose it's just a matter of time before someone sues CS agencies over that!)

Ambr

And once you have taken care of rather you are dad or not......I would look into the fact that someone has apparently "stolen" your identity.

Helping to create life might be the least of your worries. A DNA test will clear you of that. What if the other party is getting credit cards, or bank loans, etc. Do you know how hard it is to clear your credit???? Here's another nightmare thought for you --- what if they are out there committing crimes, getting warrants for your arrest, getting you a felony record that is tied to your social security number and name.

I would check into that Q-U-I-C-K!

kj970

Thank you all for the responses.

I've taken the DNA test, hopefully they're as reliable as everyone says... You're right AnswerMeNOW, it is up to me to prove myself to not be the father. It is a case of guilty until proven innocent. In fact in California, if you refuse, or won't prove you're not the father, they have the right to deem you the father and start garnishing your wages anyhow. All from the word of a woman wo really isn't sure who the father is.. What ever happened to due process?

I agree Ambr, it does sound like a case of identity theft, and I'm checking into it. I asked the woman at the county if I could see the DL they had, but no, that wasn't possible, they have to protect the privacy of the mother. What about my privacy? Apparently I have no rights. She said they wouldn't even show me if I was proven not to be the father. It seems like if I have to go out of my way to prove myself innocent, they could at least help me a little. I would definitely sue them, but it seems like a no win situation going against a county. I'm sure they have more resources than I do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">