• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Lie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uncertainNM

What is the name of your state? New Mexico
My husband recently learned that he may be the father of a ten year old. He was unaware that this child could be his because the mother said someone else was the father. Will he be responsible for back child support? What happens if he decides to give up his paternal rights?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

uncertainNM said:
My husband recently learned that he may be the father of a ten year old. He was unaware that this child might be his. How much responsibility of child support might he be responsible for?
The same as if he had known of the child.
Also you should be aware that the mother lied for years as to the paternity of the child.
and why should we be 'aware' of this fact?
Another man has paid her $21,000 in child support and now wants his money back.
That is an issue between him, the ex and the courts.

ceara19

uncertainNM said:
My husband recently learned that he may be the father of a ten year old. He was unaware that this child might be his. How much responsibility of child support might he be responsible for? Also you should be aware that the mother lied for years as to the paternity of the child. Another man has paid her $21,000 in child support and now wants his money back.What is the name of your state?
The other man should "want" in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which one fills up first! If he has been the legal father all these years, the time has passed to contest paternity. Even if he can disestablish paternity, the chances of getting the money back are slim to none. The man just learned a $21,000 lesson. Never ASSUME that a person won't lie.

Neal1421

uncertainNM said:
My husband recently learned that he may be the father of a ten year old. He was unaware that this child could be his because the mother said someone else was the father. Will he be responsible for back child support? What happens if he decides to give up his paternal rights?
He won't be able to do so unless the mother is married and her husband is willing to adopt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">