• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txwife

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX
My husband received a phone call two weeks ago from a woman that he is the father of a 16 yr. old. This woman is a person that my husband has been friends with since childhood.(they had a one night stand) When he first heard that she was pregnant he asked if it was his baby and she said no. She ended up marrying a guy when the child was under a yr. old. To this day, there's another man's name on the birth certificate (not the one she ended up marrying). The man on the birth cetitifate was proved not to be the father through dna testing. We don't understand why his name is still on the birth certificate. There are still 2 men out there that haven't been tested for this child. My husband told her that he will pay for testing once the other two men are ruled out to be the father. For some reason she's refusing to do so. She has threatened to have my husband tested through a court order. The question I have is can she legally do this with another man's name on the birth certificate? Isn't that man declared the legal father? What about the fact that she got married when the child was under a year old? Could her now ex husband (she's recently gotten divorced) be declared the legal father? Are there texas laws that states that this testing could be a violation of my husband's privacy so many years after the fact? We can't understand why her mind has changed after all these years about hubby being the father? :confused:

txwife

Thanks for the responce legalcuriosity. This woman wants my hubby tested... she just don't want to test the other two men first. The reason we want the other 2 tested is because of the fact that one of these men look EXACTLY like this child. I know that doesn't prove paternity but the resemblance is uncanny! She says this man can't be the father because his skin is too dark. (what a crock) Money is definately her motive because of her recent divorce and she's now financially strapped. She also wished to send this kid to college. You are right about tx people....hubby's situation is far too common in my area. I wish that there were laws to protect men in this situation. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">