• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Jackson

What is the name of your state? Florida but my case is in Michigan.

I recently received a letter from a prosecuting attorney alledging that I'm the father of a child in Michigan, born 12 yrs ago. There insisting that I take a paternity test, or a default judgement will be enter against me, and they will began garnishing my salary for child support. What are my rights? If it's that simple to intrude and disrupt someones life, I should've had my wife list Donald Trump or Bill Gates as the father of our second son. Maybe they would've missed the letter and a default judgement would've been enter against them.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Florida but my case is in Michigan.

I recently received a letter from a prosecuting attorney alledging that I'm the father of a child in Michigan, born 12 yrs ago. There insisting that I take a paternity test, or a default judgement will be enter against me, and they will began garnishing my salary for child support. What are my rights?
Your RIGHT is to take a paternity test.
If it's that simple to intrude and disrupt someones life, I shouldn't had my list Donald Trump or Bill Gates as the father of our second son.
Well, that explains the stupidity part.
Maybe they would've missed the letter and a default judgement would've been enter against them.What is the name of your state?
if you want further help from this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Jackson

Your RIGHT is to take a paternity test
Aren't we quite the rude one, BelizeBreeze. I was simply noting how apparently easy it is for a person whom I briefly knew in college, to gain access to all of my personal information, by simply listing me as a potential father of her child.

if you want further help from this forum.
Huh?? I am completely lost on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Huh?? I am completely lost on this one.
Here is the thing -- you joked about committing fraud which is A CRIME! That makes you a jerk on a legal forum.

You also apparently slept with this woman. That action has consequences. Whether you knew about those consequences then or now doesn't matter. You need to take a paternity test and determine if you are the father of this child. If you refuse you will adjudicated the father by default. If you take it there is a chance you will be found NOT to be the father and your part of the case is over.

nextwife

Here is the thing -- you joked about committing fraud which is A CRIME! That makes you a jerk on a legal forum.

You also apparently slept with this woman
. That action has consequences. Whether you knew about those consequences then or now doesn't matter. You need to take a paternity test and determine if you are the father of this child. If you refuse you will adjudicated the father by default. If you take it there is a chance you will be found NOT to be the father and your part of the case is over.
Actually, he only has to be named by mom, he doesn't need to have ACTUALLY slept with her for the AG's office to pursue CS from him. THere was even a case last year where there had never actually been a child, and the AG's office was collecting CS on Mom's say-so.

I agree he needs to take that paternity test. Of course, there was that salon owner who fought to disprove a positive DNA test, spent a small fortune, and finally proved the lab was sloppy, and the DNA results innaccurate, not due to technology, but human error. So even a DNA test MAY not correctly establish paternity. But it does establish who will be pursued for CS.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/20/AR2005082000998.html

Question: if he is not the father, does Mom, or do the taxpayers, reimburse a "named" party for the paternity test?

Last edited:

nextwife

Amazing to know that you are not losing any sleep thinking about the 12 year old that could be your child, maybe that kid will be a lot better off without you.
Could be that he's not losing sleep because he KNOWS it can't be his child. There have been cases in which the father had stopped dating and seeing mom YEARS before the alledged conception. A woman CAN name anyone, there is no way for the AG's office to actually know if the party named really DID sleep with the petitioner. Just because mom said he's dad, doesn't mean it's REALLY true, and doesn't mean he ever ACTUALLY had to have sex with her. Mom only has to SAY he did.

Last edited:

AHA

Could be that he's not losing slepp because he KNOWS it can't be his child. There have been cases in which the father had stopped dating and seeing mom YEARS before the alledged conception. A woman CAN name anyone, there is no way for the AG's office to actually know if the party named really DID sleep with the petitioner.

If he KNEW it can't be his, he wouldn't be freaking out about taking a simple test to prove it!

nextwife

If he KNEW it can't be his, he wouldn't be freaking out about taking a simple test to prove it!
Hey, I'd freak out if I suddenly had to come up with $500 or so to prove a child is not mine. And I know I never gave birth, but I'd still freak out over having to PAY to disprove it.

AHA

Hey, I'd freak out if I suddenly had to come up with $500 or so to prove a child is not mine. And I know I never gave birth, but I'd still freak out over having to PAY to disprove it.

Who said HE has to pay for it?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Normally the only time a "father" has to pay for the paternity test is if he is proven to be the biological father. If not, then mom has to pay for it. Unless Maury, Montel or Springer jump into it and then they would pay regardless I do believe -- or they just might have stock in the testing facilities.

nextwife

Normally the only time a "father" has to pay for the paternity test is if he is proven to be the biological father. If not, then mom has to pay for it. Unless Maury, Montel or Springer jump into it and then they would pay regardless I do believe -- or they just might have stock in the testing facilities.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I'd read in other posts that the father had to prepay if he wanted to contest paternity.

fairisfair

Could be that he's not losing sleep because he KNOWS it can't be his child. There have been cases in which the father had stopped dating and seeing mom YEARS before the alledged conception. A woman CAN name anyone, there is no way for the AG's office to actually know if the party named really DID sleep with the petitioner. Just because mom said he's dad, doesn't mean it's REALLY true, and doesn't mean he ever ACTUALLY had to have sex with her. Mom only has to SAY he did.

and the alternative would be??????????? Oh wait, I know!!! A test to PROVE it.:rolleyes:

nextwife

MY point is that being named as the father does NOT mean the guy necessarilly actually slept with mom, only that mom said so. The archives here prove that an unbelievable number of women have lied about who is their child's bioparent.

fairisfair

MY point is that being named as the father does NOT mean the guy necessarilly actually slept with mom, only that mom said so. The archives here prove that an unbelievable number of women have lied about who is their child's bioparent.
and probably an equal number of men, who miraculously fathered a child, when they "never slept with her".

AHA

If everyone wants to get SUPER specific, a child can be conceived in other forms than via intercourse. I'm sure I don't have to list them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">