• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity test reveals I am not the father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA

MY point is that neither parent should have the RIGHT to CHOOSE to assign parentage to suit their desires. A child only has ONE biological father. And if someone other than the biodad is going to be raising the child as their own, there should need to be a formal adoption. THe parents should NOT have the right, either one, to CHOOSE to create a fraudulant birh certificate, and fraudulantly represent someone as the BIOparent who really is NOT.

My kid's birth certificate shows us as the LEGAL parents, but does NOT create the fiction that we are her BIOparents. Neither parent should have the RIGHT to deny the child knowledge of their genetic roots, or that their parents are NOT their bioparents. It is just WRONG, whether dad had the opportunity or not. The child is entitled to a correct birth record.
Which isn't any different than what I've been trying to explain.

mskad

Again, since when did THIS thread become about YOU?

You have done nothing here but divert focus away from the LEGAL aspects of the POSTER'S concerns which I answered in the very first response.

If you keep it up, you may find your membership gone. get the hint?
I guess that's one way to silence opinions you don't agree with.

MrsK

NOT being the bioligal parent does NOT mean one can't and won't still have a relationship with their child - our child is not our biological child, and it matters not. S

However, we had the right to an informed decision to adopt our daughter. We had the right to CHOOSE to assume parental responsibility for a child that was not biologically ours. Our child had the right to have the truth of our NOT being her bioparents known to her.

I find it abhorant that we give women who lie and dupe someone into paternity a "free pass" ssimply because they managed to get away with it long enough. There SHOULD be consequences, and dire ones, for a person who perpetrates a fraud such as lying about paternity. Holding mom financially accountable should in no way mean that this dad and daughter can't still have a relationship. Heck, she's almost an adult and will soon have the right to see or not see whomever she wishes. She, too, was duped, and should be entitled to recourse.

BB, I just really have a problem with the idea that a woman can just dupe a child and parent, and if she gets away with it long enough, we treat DAD as the "bad" guy for feeling she should be accountable for making fraudulant representations. Maybe if more women got dinged legally for pulling this crap, fewer women would cheat their child this way.

If a person is going to raise a child who is not theirs biologically as their own, they should need to go through the adoption process, same as we did. Not be cheated into it.

IT is ironic that adoptee rights groups spend so much time and energy to make their birth records available, because they feel that every child should have the right to at least know their medical roots, yet family law allows far MORE children to be cheated out of knowledge of who their biofather actually is by the way they assign, then refuse to correct, inaccurate bioparentage on a birth certificate..
As usual, NW, I agree with you. I dont think it makes the OP a bad guy because he's upset about having to pay support for a child that IS NOT his. And since he had a DNA test recently, its more than likely he didnt know the child was not his or even had an inkling that it might not be his.

BelizeBreeze

I guess that's one way to silence opinions you don't agree with.
No, just idiots without any legal background who try an place the focus on themselves rather than the law as it pertains to the poster's specific situation....

SOUND FAMILIAR?

mskad

No, just idiots without any legal background who try an place the focus on themselves rather than the law as it pertains to the poster's specific situation....

SOUND FAMILIAR?
You take your senior member status a tad too seriously. Must you resort to childish behaviors such as name calling? I never made this about me, I only used something from my past as a comparison. The only thing I did was offer my opinion on the OP's situation, just as you and many others on this forum have done on other threads.

Now, go forth, and play nice with the other kids in the sandbox.

BelizeBreeze

You take your senior member status a tad too seriously.
And you are wrong again. I take the LAW seriously. Learn the difference.
Must you resort to childish behaviors such as name calling?
Must have a guilty conscienous since I never said YOU were an idiot.
I never made this about me, I only used something from my past as a comparison.
and your past experiences is worthless.
The only thing I did was offer my opinion on the OP's situation, just as you and many others on this forum have done on other threads.
Really? I must have missed the LEGAL ADVICE in all of that crap.
Now, go forth, and play nice with the other kids in the sandbox.
BITE ME!:D

rabiddad

ok, before I get flamed off the forum let me say that after lurking for awhile, bb seems to be informed about the law and give sound legal advice. And I agree with what she said as in "legally" there is nothing to do....most of the time.

But some states, and I'm not sure about the posters have enacted paternity fraud laws...Illinois made it a criminal offencse. I think Georgia has new laws as well that allows the disestablishment of paternity. I'm not sure about forcing the mother/judge/courts/family services to pay reimbursment but it would seem to me that that would be the next logical step to take....God knows it should.

just my 2 cents

BelizeBreeze

ok, before I get flamed off the forum let me say that after lurking for awhile, bb seems to be informed about the law and give sound legal advice. And I agree with what she said as in "legally" there is nothing to do....most of the time.

But some states, and I'm not sure about the posters have enacted paternity fraud laws...Illinois made it a criminal offencse. I think Georgia has new laws as well that allows the disestablishment of paternity. I'm not sure about forcing the mother/judge/courts/family services to pay reimbursment but it would seem to me that that would be the next logical step to take....God knows it should.

just my 2 cents
If you read the original post, The poster never stipulated he wanted to contest the paternity ont he basis of fraud. His only concern was with child support for a child not biologically his. However, Alabama statutes presume the child to be LEGALLY his due to the fact that the child was born during the marriage.

Also, the poster would need to PROVE fraud on the part of the mother, very difficult (or impossible) to do unless the mother KNEW the child was not his. Also, if the mother was having an affair during the marriage and the poster knew of the affair, he has no case as he accepted the child 'into the marriage' as required to provide legal parentage per Alabama statute.

Regardless, my answers were correct based solely on the post. And the correct answer to challenging paternity at this point is also no. He gave up that right when he not only signed the birth certificate, but also the AOP and divorced stipulating there was a 'child of the marriage' and waited 17 years to bring the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">