• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Testing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zaxan

I am a Florida resident going to college as many people these days. I was notified by phone yesterday by Mahoning county OH child support services. The woman told me there was a woman that was trying to collect child support from me. I got thought this was some kind of sick joke and told the woman to go to hell. She said that there would be other means of dealing with this issue and hung up. If this is real what should I expect? Don't they have to prove the kid is mine ? How would they do this?

CSO286

I am a Florida resident going to college as many people these days. I was notified by phone yesterday by Mahoning county OH child support services. The woman told me there was a woman that was trying to collect child support from me. I got thought this was some kind of sick joke and told the woman to go to hell. She said that there would be other means of dealing with this issue and hung up. If this is real what should I expect? Don't they have to prove the kid is mine ? How would they do this?

Paternity establishment refers to the legal determination of being named as the father of a child(ren). The administrative paternity establishment process can be completed at any time up to and including the child’s 23rd birthday. Paternity can be established even if one of the parties resides in another county, state or foreign country.

Paternity can be established in the following ways:

Voluntary Acknowledgement refers to the completion of the JFS 07038, also known as the “Acknowledgment of Paternity Affidavit.” This form can be completed at the hospital when your child is born. The voluntary acknowledgment can also be completed at your local heath department or county child support enforcement agency (CSEA). By signing the affidavit, both parties agree they are the biological parents of the child and choose to be named as the legal parents of the child.

Genetic Testing can be requested by the mother, alleged father(s) or the child or child’s guardian. Genetic testing may be conducted provided there is not a final determination of paternity, there is uncertainty as to the parentage of the child or if paternity is contested. The CSEA will order all parties to submit to genetic testing and will issue an administrative paternity order based on the results of the genetic test. For paternity to be established through genetic testing, the results must show at least a 99% probability of parentage.

A Court Order of paternity may also be issued through Juvenile Court or Domestic Relations Court.

ODJFS Online | Child Support

You never said that there was no way you could be the child's father.

What you can expect is that you will be paying child support for the next 18 years.

CSO286

IF the child is his - and paternity is established. They can't start collecting CS until that is done.
If you'll check ther rest of my comment, I addressed ways paternity can be established, and the bolded indicated that it could be adjudicated by court order.

ASSuming that paternity was established in one of those ways, and I am ASSuming that it was by court order, since he all but denied participating in genetic testing, then the remainer of my post is accurate.

:)

mistoffolees

If you'll check ther rest of my comment, I addressed ways paternity can be established, and the bolded indicated that it could be adjudicated by court order.

ASSuming that paternity was established in one of those ways, and I am ASSuming that it was by court order, since he all but denied participating in genetic testing, then the remainer of my post is accurate.

Yes, that's correct. He can't just sit on his hands and ignore the situation.

milspecgirl

I saw that. However, I'm not sure the OP knows what "adjudicated by court order" means so I thought I would throw it out there.

OP- if you don't respond to deny it. they will probably name you as dad by default.

LdiJ

Folks, he did say that all he got was a phone call. A phone call doesn't count as proper service for anything at all. Has anyone, in any state, heard of the CSE making phone calls as a first step?

CSO286

Folks, he did say that all he got was a phone call. A phone call doesn't count as proper service for anything at all. Has anyone, in any state, heard of the CSE making phone calls as a first step?

If he's getting phone calls from CSE, then I would ASSume that he's already been adjudicated and the CSO calling him is trying to get info re:payments and emploment for income withholding.

OP--What did the woman say specifically? Did she tell you that you had been named as a possible father? That you had been adjudicated father? (Dertermined to be Dad by court order.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">