• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity testing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbriscoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Ok, so I know I'm not the father, and have had to pay child support. But I don't know how to get a paternity test done, and the FOC says I have to get a lawyer, how do I avoid this and get my money back?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Further details, such as how you "know" you're not the father, how it is that you have to pay child support, etc., would help us in helping you. Thanks.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Ok, so I know I'm not the father, and have had to pay child support.
In order to "have to" pay child support, you must have been declared the child's legal father, either via DNA testing, signing the AOP, or being adjudicated the father by the court. How were you found to be this child's father?

But I don't know how to get a paternity test done, and the FOC says I have to get a lawyer, how do I avoid this and get my money back?
What FOC may be telling you is that at this point, they aren't going to do testing. There exeists a legal father for this child and if you wish to disestablish paternity, you are going to have to tackle it on your own.

Testing can be done by many agencies: Labcorp: http://www.labcorp.com and Orchild Cellmark http://www.orchidcellmark.com both conduct tests that are legally admissible in court.

You are going to need an attorney. This really isn't a do-it-yourself project.

Even if you are successful, it is highly unlikely that you will get any of the support you paid back.

The time to have fought this was when you were initially served/declared Dad.

What is the timeline? How old is this child? When and how was paternity established? When did you begin paying support?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">