• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity testing in AL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustinAB

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I'm an AL resident currently living in China. I will return home in a couple months and may face a paternity test. I'm pretty unaware of my rights in the arena so I would like some advise on what I may need to be prepared for and what I can do ahead of time to protect myself should the child be mine.

Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I'm an AL resident currently living in China. I will return home in a couple months and may face a paternity test. I'm pretty unaware of my rights in the arena so I would like some advise on what I may need to be prepared for and what I can do ahead of time to protect myself should the child be mine.

Thanks.
Protect yourself from what?

If the child is yours, you are going to have to support the child. If you want to be part of the child's life, you will have to file for visitation/joint legal custody. Its as simple as that.

JustinAB

I mean protect myself from getting taken advantage of in the process. I don't want my life and finances to be completely gutted because her and I may not get along. I simply want to know what my rights and options will be in the potential that I find myself in court.

LdiJ

I mean protect myself from getting taken advantage of in the process. I don't want my life and finances to be completely gutted because her and I may not get along. I simply want to know what my rights and options will be in the potential that I find myself in court.
It honestly is very basic. You will be required to pay child support according to the applicable state guidelines. Its pretty cut and dried. There is little that either of you could do to change that.

AL HR

And Alabama child support is based on a very simple calculation. You determine your monthly income, hers, how much you or she pays for child support or alimony for previous children. You factor in medical and day care and voila, you have your amount.

Gracie3787

There's only 2 ways to protect yourself from being taken advantage of:

1. Hire a very good attorney (usually that means an expensive attorney).

2. Read your state's laws and CS guidelines so that you'll know what to expect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">