• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay support untill she graduates from high school??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rb212

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My Daughter (that I pay support to) will be turning 18 on June 30 2006. She is expecting in Feb of 2006 (the father is in prison and will probably be there for a while). I have made arrangements to pay for ALL her medical bills for having the baby. Her mother informed me that she (daughter) plans on going back to school for the 2006/2007 school year. She hasn't even passed the 9th grade yet due to missing too much school (she's gone 3 days so far this year). In ohio the guidelines (no laws here for child support, just guidelines) it reads that support will still be collected if the child is enrolled in school .. I called child support to find out if this would happen and was told that I would have to pay till she graduates high school .. I know not to trust what they tell me (learned that the hard way after I lost my job and asked for a modification and was denied because they said my income had to drop by 30% for 2 years before they would even look at it, funny how after I hired a lawyer and the rules changed) I cant afford to hire a lawyer so I'm just wondering what the chances are that this support order may be dismissed?

B

betterthanher

rb212 said:

My Daughter (that I pay support to) will be turning 18 on June 30 2006. She is expecting in Feb of 2006 (the father is in prison and will probably be there for a while). I have made arrangements to pay for ALL her medical bills for having the baby. Her mother informed me that she (daughter) plans on going back to school for the 2006/2007 school year. She hasn't even passed the 9th grade yet due to missing too much school (she's gone 3 days so far this year). In ohio the guidelines (no laws here for child support, just guidelines) it reads that support will still be collected if the child is enrolled in school .. I called child support to find out if this would happen and was told that I would have to pay till she graduates high school .. I know not to trust what they tell me (learned that the hard way after I lost my job and asked for a modification and was denied because they said my income had to drop by 30% for 2 years before they would even look at it, funny how after I hired a lawyer and the rules changed) I cant afford to hire a lawyer so I'm just wondering what the chances are that this support order may be dismissed?
A child is not considered emancipated just because they have a child. Her being pregnant, unless unders a doctor's order to be restricted to bed rest, does not excuse a child from missing this much school. As a parent, you are entitled to school records of the child. You should probably look into with the school why the child has only been there a handful of days.

Has the mom withdrawn the child from school? Has the child dropped out? It really sounds like you need to get to the bottom of your daughters attendance situation with the school.

kat1963

Not knowing what county you are in but they all use the same central system:
http://www.franklincountyohio.gov/commissioners/csea/support_order_termination.cfm
Now do what the other poster suggested on the school records. I would wait until March since if she's not attending regularly now she's probably not going to do so at all once she has an infant. In addition since she's over 16, still in the 9th grade & has only gone 3 days this year they probably have her listed as voluntarily withdrawn ALREADY & have recommended her for the GED program. She's too far behind to catch up to her regular class or even a year behind so they aren't going to let her enroll again (18 in the 9th grade, don't think so!!!). Once you get the information forward it to your case worker via certified mail. Do it early to get a jump-start on things!!
Good Luck!
KAT

nextwife

OMG!!!!!

She hasn't completed NINTH grade? Being pregnant at 17 is NO reason for that, by 18 they should be in their 12th year! Unless, a child had a chronic illness that required repeated hospitalizations or home stays, there is no reason but negligence for that.

Obviously Mom allowed her to virtually skip school all along.

Last edited:

n_gauthier

rb212 said:

Jsu tto let ya know. we have schools here where there is 30 yr olds attending 9th grade. It's a private school and some programs close to it are available all over. We have a minister in memphis, tn that opened a school available to ALL ppl over 2nd grade level. You do all booklets and work at home and attend one of the campuses once a week for testing. I'm sure there's something like that around you. I've heard of programs like this all over the country even if they're not exactly the same. hope this can help with her education...i attend a school like this (I'm 14 and a freshman, no im not a mom) but alot of my friends here are moms and it helps them alot. Id look into something like it. It's not expensive at all. We call it the gateway christian program here.

ablessin

First of all, you need to find out what on EARTH is going on, she should freaking be graduating this year!!!!!!!!! Not just starting ( for the 3rd or 4th time).

I agree with the above, if she can't make it to school now, what makes anyone think in February she is going to make it more often?

I was under the impression that once a girl has a child she is no longer considered a dependent - however whether or not they are automatically emancipated is another question.

If she drops out of school, you may have grounds to cease CS payments.
But you're going to need a laywer to help you I am sure.

What does your daughter's mother have to say about all of this? Is your daughter considering keeping the child or putting it up for adoption?
Does she have a car? How is she going to get the baby to the doctor for all the routine child care visits and when he/she is sick?
She has a lot to consider in the short and long term future.

Zephyr

rb212 said:

In addition since she's over 16, still in the 9th grade & has only gone 3 days this year they probably have her listed as voluntarily withdrawn

This could very well be the case, and support is worded that you must support her while enrolled not "until she graduates". I would do as advised and contact the school, if she is not enrolled, contact cse immediately. Jeez mom really dropped the ball for this kid... and didn't you know this girl was flunking out for the last 3 years, this girl will never have any type of life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">