• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying back Medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DADDY3434

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
My ex girlfriend gave birth to a baby and the baby passed away 3 weeks later the total bill came up to $96,000 for NICU stay. Since the baby passed away and I cant be held for child support will I have to pay back medicaid for covering the $96,000 payment is there any way my ex can alert medicaid to have me payback since the child is dead?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
My ex girlfriend gave birth to a baby and the baby passed away 3 weeks later the total bill came up to $96,000 for NICU stay. Since the baby passed away and I cant be held for child support will I have to pay back medicaid for covering the $96,000 payment is there any way my ex can alert medicaid to have me payback since the child is dead?
Did you sign an AOP (acknowledgement of paternity) at the time of birth?

If you did, it's possible that the state can try to get reimbursement from you.

If you didn't sign an AOP it's probably not possible since there's no way of establishing paternity if you deny paternity.

Either way, if you do get served you should immediately get a consult with a local attorney to find out what your options are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">