• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Child Support for 18+ Year Old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisav

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

My ex-wife up and moved to Virginia with my 18 year old and had me served for non-payment of child support three months after my son turned eighteen. ( I stopped paying child support when he turned 18). The court has required me to pay child support because he was left back and is still in High School. I have joint custody (which means nothing when the child is really an adult). The problem is: My ex wife refuses to divulge where he is living or where he is going to school. I feel that he is not going to school and that she is taking the child support under false pretenses. How can I proceed? Please advise.

Last edited:

Do you have her address? If so, call the Board of Ed in her city, give them the address and ask what school zone it's in. Call the school and find out if he's a student. You must have proof you're the father and will have to fax it to them or possibly mail it before you get the answer. If he's not a student, file to terminate support.

It does sound extremely suspicious that she refuses to tell you where he lives or what school he's going to. Seems to me the court would have made her prove he's in school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">