• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying child support to 2 different obligees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bmore1982

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL/VA

My name is Bobby and I posted in a another section about child custody that I received some good answers from. Thank you all that commented. Now i would like to discuss another matter. I'm a E-4 in the military and I have 3 children. My son lives with his Mother's grandparents and receives child support by florida law, My daughters live with their Mother and i have joint custody with and receives child support by VA law. The problem is this, I pay $748 for my son and $220 for my daughters. My daughter's mother was upset about this and is now going to VA DCSE to have the order change. ACcording to VA, I'm suppose to pay $917 for my daughters. I make after deductions $2,200 a month. With VA's new order and FL's order, I'll end up making $1,521. This is not enough to cover housing, utilities and bills for myself. with out the orders, I'll make $3,186. I know that up to half my pay can be taken for child support, but are there any laws that actually help the father be able to live basically? Or is it just a lost that has to be taken. thank you.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL/VA

My name is Bobby and I posted in a another section about child custody that I received some good answers from. Thank you all that commented. Now i would like to discuss another matter. I'm a E-4 in the military and I have 3 children. My son lives with his Mother's grandparents and receives child support by florida law, My daughters live with their Mother and i have joint custody with and receives child support by VA law. The problem is this, I pay $748 for my son and $220 for my daughters. My daughter's mother was upset about this and is now going to VA DCSE to have the order change. ACcording to VA, I'm suppose to pay $917 for my daughters. I make after deductions $2,200 a month. With VA's new order and FL's order, I'll end up making $1,521. This is not enough to cover housing, utilities and bills for myself. with out the orders, I'll make $3,186. I know that up to half my pay can be taken for child support, but are there any laws that actually help the father be able to live basically? Or is it just a lost that has to be taken. thank you.

this is something you should have given consideration to BEFORE having children.

now you are expected to pay the court ordered support, and I'm kinda sure the USM will make sure you support your children first, and then you second.

so move to a smaller place, eat less food, have less channels, do less fun things ... you know, sacrifice. you made them, you pay for them.

Proserpina

this is something you should have given consideration to BEFORE having children.

now you are expected to pay the court ordered support, and I'm kinda sure the USM will make sure you support your children first, and then you second.

so move to a smaller place, eat less food, have less channels, do less fun things ... you know, sacrifice. you made them, you pay for them.

This is pretty much it, in a nutshell.

Make sure the numbers are correct though, OP - did you run them through the respective State calculators?

CJane

Live on base.

But, how is an E4 making $2200/month after deductions? Top pay is $2364 for an E4. I realize that doesn't take into account BAH or anything, but still.

And how does your ex figure you'll end up paying her that much in CS when you have an outstanding order that will be deducted from your income before HER child support is figured in?

Do you cover the children on your insurance?

TinkerBelleLuvr

The first thing that strikes me is that the income of OP was entered in without taking into account the first order. Then, did they impute any income for the mother? That is an income share state.

Bmore1982

Thanks for your humble opinion but that's not necessary, you still didn't manage to answer my question. Basically, I'm asking are there any laws that helps the father maintain a suitable living quarters for when I do have my children wiht me. I'm pretty sure that neither mother's would want there children sleeping in low in come housing that has a high crime rate, I know my job would definatly blow a fuse over my living condition, mostly because they already have. thats why I'm asking

Bmore1982

Thanks for your humble opinion but that's not necessary, you still didn't manage to answer my question. Basically, I'm asking are there any laws that helps the father maintain a suitable living quarters for when I do have my children with me. I'm pretty sure that neither mother's would want there children sleeping in low in come housing that has a high crime rate, I know my job would definatly blow a fuse over my living condition, mostly because they already have. thats why I'm asking.

Proserpina

Thanks for your humble opinion but that's not necessary, you still didn't manage to answer my question. Basically, I'm asking are there any laws that helps the father maintain a suitable living quarters for when I do have my children wiht me. I'm pretty sure that neither mother's would want there children sleeping in low in come housing that has a high crime rate, I know my job would definatly blow a fuse over my living condition, mostly because they already have. thats why I'm asking

Believe it or not, parents can visit with their children even while they - the parents - are living in homeless shelters. In fact, they can even retain full custody while living in a homeless shelter.

Have you run the numbers, as I suggested?

Bmore1982

This is pretty much it, in a nutshell.

Make sure the numbers are correct though, OP - did you run them through the respective State calculators?
I did. This is where it gets a little confusing. When child support was being figured out i was living in CA at a higher BAH rate, I got orders 3 days before the Child support mediation date. My daughters support was established way before (about 7 or 8 years back). I actually tired to have it raise over the years because at the time I was down and out. But VA DCSE would not raise in "fear that I may not be able to pay". This is a NO BS answer I got, not just once, but several of times.
The problem arised from my son's child support order. The same time that it kicked in, my daughter's child support dropped. I went from paying $260 to $220. I was giving her extra money on the side through out the years. but after today's advice that it doesn't count towards "support" and is considered a gift. I think it's better that VA handles it. But this leaves me at a disadvntage as to getting a place, paying the bills, being able to see or provide for myself and my children.
I already received a bunch of bad news and advice, it seems, thus far. So at this point, it does look like I will not be able to keep my job if my command holds me with indebtedness (which occur from the marriage of my daughter's mother when I was deployed). I'm already living at meager means honsetly ( lets just say i live out of my car for now and between family member's houses). So I'm trying to figure out who takes precedence over child support and are there in laws in either state that helps the father keep some sort of living conditions, that are suitable.
Before any one ask, I do get BAH in VA compared CA, there is about a $1000 difference including $600 in entitlements. In VA, there isn't any housing for USCG personnel and we live on the economy. the only way you Barracks is if you don not receive BAH. I can not stay in barracks due to this reason.

Bmore1982

Believe it or not, parents can visit with their children even while they - the parents - are living in homeless shelters. In fact, they can even retain full custody while living in a homeless shelter.

Have you run the numbers, as I suggested?
I'm quite unsure of what numbers aer you stating that I should run. I ran the numbers from what I would be paying in VA and what I am paying in Fl to come up with the total that I'll make about $1,500 a month. A one bedroom apartment in virgina can go from $650 to $1100. I would choose that cheapest one but that would put me at a risk since those are high crime areas, which also is unfavorable with my command becuase I was told by department head that I need to move. I ran what my daughter's mother had said on a state calculator and it summed up about right. As for my son, I know they are going off another rate I was being paid and also as "single" which I really don't know what that meant when the mediator was talking until he siad that it was because I didn't have dependents living with me. So that is what I'm paying till I can get the order reviewed once I return home.

Bmore1982

The first thing that strikes me is that the income of OP was entered in without taking into account the first order. Then, did they impute any income for the mother? That is an income share state.
As far as I know, No. on both orders I pay out right. I was informed by another commentor that my Son's mother doesn't have to pay child support to grandparents. My daughter's mother, of course, has the kids so I didn't think they would input her income since she usually have more than I do, even with joint custody.

Proserpina

I'm quite unsure of what numbers aer you stating that I should run. I ran the numbers from what I would be paying in VA and what I am paying in Fl to come up with the total that I'll make about $1,500 a month. A one bedroom apartment in virgina can go from $650 to $1100. I would choose that cheapest one but that would put me at a risk since those are high crime areas, which also is unfavorable with my command becuase I was told by department head that I need to move. I ran what my daughter's mother had said on a state calculator and it summed up about right. As for my son, I know they are going off another rate I was being paid and also as "single" which I really don't know what that meant when the mediator was talking until he siad that it was because I didn't have dependents living with me. So that is what I'm paying till I can get the order reviewed once I return home.

I'm talking about what you earn, and what the Moms earn.

Plug those numbers - not your expenses - into each Mom's state's Child Support calculator (or whichever state made the child support orders).

See what it spits out.

mistoffolees

As far as I know, No. on both orders I pay out right. I was informed by another commentor that my Son's mother doesn't have to pay child support to grandparents. My daughter's mother, of course, has the kids so I didn't think they would input her income since she usually have more than I do, even with joint custody.
Then you're misunderstanding the process.

1. The first order is calculated and a certain amount of support is ordered. Then, when they calculate your income, they usually take your total income (either gross or net, depending on state law) and then subtract the amount in support ordered by the first CS order. So let's say your income is $2500 and the first order is for $600 a month. When they calculate the second order, they will probably use $1900 a month as your income, not $2500. That varies by state law, though, so ask the people at the CSE office.

2. In many states, they consider both parents' income under the presumption that both parents should be supporting their kids. In today's world, it is expected that anyone can work if they want to, so someone who chooses not to work can be imputed at income. That is, they will calculate your CS as if the ex is earning minimum wage for 40 hours a week (or some other number). They can't force the person to work, but they can calculate CS as if they are.

Your expenses don't enter into the equation - other than a very limited number of items. Some states will include the amount you pay for medical insurance or child care, for example.

Those things may help to ensure that you're being charged the correct amount. However, the bottom line is that Banned Princess is right. You have a lot of kids on a relatively low income. Something's going to have to give. You may end up having to live on base or give up other things in order to meet your obligations. Your kids didn't cause the problem, you did. The kids have needs which it is your (and the other parent's) obligation to meet. That need comes first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">