• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Txdad79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My ex and I have had a temporary order for years, neither of us realized it was a temporary order and last month she stopped receiving child support. Come to find out, order ended so my obligation to pay was "over". We are working to get it back in place and to get a new order drawn up that is the same but permanent. But in the meantime how do I go about paying her Child support that can be tracked back so it will be counted when we get it settled? I want to make sure she is getting it in the time being. I was told to send it to the attorney general but currently they are holding last months payments because of the order being up. I was thinking money order, or a check. She mentioned I could send it to her bank account using her routing number but with all of these I am afraid there will be no way to link it back to me and what its for. I am not worried about her not saying I paid it as we get along fine, but worried about the attorney generals office once things are back in order. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Posting Hx (https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/back-child-support-error-621659.html)

I would send checks with a prominent notation that it is a child support payment for <month/year>

I would think that if the order expired then from the date of expiration until service of a new support complaint, the NCP would not be legally responsible to pay the CP anything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would think that if the order expired then from the date of expiration until service of a new support complaint, the NCP would not be legally responsible to pay the CP anything.
I would agree, however, the OP wants to pay it, but wants to make sure that it's shown as child support, should any questions come up in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">